Need help with concrete chicken run!

I wanted to do a rotational run so split the dirt area in 2 and have them switch between so when they ruin one side, they can have the other side to switch to while the other regrows back. That would be a 36 sq area for the chickens. Too small? Any advice would be welcomed!
I think you underestimate how quickly the chickens will turn it into bare dirt. You could give them 100 square feet per bird and they'd still desroy it long before the other paddock could grow back.

Would it be too big to do all wood chips and bedding like you said on a space that’s 7x10+? Uncovered except for under the raised coop?

That depends on how you source your bedding.

Tree-trimmer chips are often free by the truckload.

Buying bagged mulch (PLAIN, not dyed and without fertilizer or other additives), can get pricey.

So glad you posted this thread as it applies to my situation too. And thanks to all who have posted.

https://getchipdrop.com/
This site matches local tree companies with you to drop wood chips (fresh, not dried) to your house. Free. You have to be flexible with timings and you may not be able to specify what wood is being used (although you can ask).

Using a long spirit level (or a short one on a board) figure out whether your concrete pad is level, crowned (high in the middle), or sloped. That may tell you how (and in which direction) it drains. Even level concrete pads, over time, shift (and yours looks like it's been there awhile). Water from a garden hose will give you similar information but is less reliable about subtle grades.

To my eye (and this may be distortion in the photo) the area runs off to the right of the picture close to your fence. As someone else said, don't butt your run up to the fence. The moss growth looks like water drains to the right. There are newish looking fence posts there, which may suggest that the previous ones needed replaced - which in turn suggests water drains that-away.

If it drains to the right, you could facilitate water movement by trenching between the 4 x 4 fenceposts posts (only a few inches).

Make sure the bottom boards are pressure-treated. 8 x 10 x 1s or 2s may work well. If you're worried about chemicals, ask the seller what the chemicals are (nix on arsenates) are or spring for boron-treated which is bright blue but safe. You could also invest in a rot-resistant wood like cedar or redwood. (Since you're in the PNW, they may be reasonably priced.) A good source of used redwood is often junked picnic tables (but check that the wood's not just painted red).

Good luck! My planned run is on a slightly sloping brick patio that drains well.

Lisa

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom