Need help with concrete chicken run!

If the water runs off the concrete, doesn't channel across it, and doesn't pool, then it should be OK with a really deep layer of litter.

Coarse wood chips, the kind you get from a tree-trimming service, are probably the best base material for such a purpose.
x2

You can make this work.

I would raise the coop ON the concrete pad (great basis for predator proof!); put a really deep layer of course wood chip then layers of organic material (leaves, cuttings, cooking scraps, etc.) on top annually.

Is the space under the sand box concrete or dirt? If dirt, incorporate into the run giving a place for the chickens to dirt bathe.

Last edited:
x2

You can make this work.

I would raise the coop ON the concrete pad (great basis for predator proof!); put a really deep layer of course wood chip then layers of organic material (leaves, cuttings, cooking scraps, etc.) on top annually.

Is the space under the sand box concrete or dirt? If dirt, incorporate into the run giving a place for the chickens to dirt bathe.
Awesome thank you. The space under the old garden box is dirt. That is going to be where part of their run is for sure. I just wanted to expand it to the right and onto the concrete so they have even more space.

One question, if the coop is on the concrete, raised, and idk say 5x5 whatever, do you think I could expand the run further onto the concrete rather than just underneath where the coop will be? Then the only area covered would be under the coop. I’d love to use most of the concrete space in my photo if it’s possible because it won’t be used otherwise and I’d love to give it to the chickens. Would it be too big to do all wood chips and bedding like you said on a space that’s 7x10+? Uncovered except for under the raised coop?

I also really love the idea of putting the coop on the concrete. Partly for predator protection, but---I used to live in the Pacific Northwest, and I'd be very worried that putting a deep layer of wood chips butting up to that wood fence would cause the fence to rot sooner than it might without the wood chips and chicken-related moisture.

But really, that looks like a great site, in general for your birds!

I also really love the idea of putting the coop on the concrete. Partly for predator protection, but---I used to live in the Pacific Northwest, and I'd be very worried that putting a deep layer of wood chips butting up to that wood fence would cause the fence to rot sooner than it might without the wood chips and chicken-related moisture.

But really, that looks like a great site, in general for your birds!
Thank you! I was thinking maybe not have it go up to the fence, but leave a couple inches of space? Maybe build a short, tiny frame to keep the wood chips in and fence up from there…

Thank you! I was thinking maybe not have it go up to the fence, but leave a couple inches of space? Maybe build a short, tiny frame to keep the wood chips in and fence up from there…
Great! and, it depends on whose fence the property is on--is it on the property line? what if the fence needs worked on or if it belongs to the neighbors and they decide to alter it. Paranoid, maybe, just something to think about while your plans are still somewhat flexible.

Great! and, it depends on whose fence the property is on--is it on the property line? what if the fence needs worked on or if it belongs to the neighbors and they decide to alter it. Paranoid, maybe, just something to think about while your plans are still somewhat flexible.
All good points… if it means anything, we won’t be here for more than 3 more years, so at that point it’ll all be taken down when we move. Thank you!

How would you turn over bottom or drain off? Are you saying that would be impossible on concrete? Sorry, new to all of this. Thanks
Deep litter with wood chips (its what you use in wet uncoved runs) is a bio generator that digests the poop. (pine shaving get wet its just a wet mat.) The chickens turn it for you and it drains quick. with a concrete bottom it will not act right unless you go with 12"-16" deep.

Awesome thank you. The space under the old garden box is dirt. That is going to be where part of their run is for sure. I just wanted to expand it to the right and onto the concrete so they have even more space.

One question, if the coop is on the concrete, raised, and idk say 5x5 whatever, do you think I could expand the run further onto the concrete rather than just underneath where the coop will be? Then the only area covered would be under the coop. I’d love to use most of the concrete space in my photo if it’s possible because it won’t be used otherwise and I’d love to give it to the chickens. Would it be too big to do all wood chips and bedding like you said on a space that’s 7x10+? Uncovered except for under the raised coop?

Of course! The more space, the greater variety, the happier your crew will be.

I did not say but my vision when I wrote above was to use and therefore visually loose the concrete completely.

Elevate the coop enough so it is easy to get under, mine is 3'+; do take pictures in the rain so you know where any low spots are; per @3KillerBs make sure you do not block the sides of the concrete so run off is impeded; keep those two beautiful shrubs outside the run; you can leave the garden box as is, your chickens will love you for it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom