Need help with Corid dosage

After 5 to 7 days are up of treating the chicks with Corid, and they still show signs of bloody or runny stools, should I continue the treatment of Corid at 1 tsp per gallon? Or should I give it a break for a few days before treating again. I have 3 3 week old chicks that are on day 4 and still have the runs and one (I'm not sure which one) still has bloody stools.

After 5 to 7 days are up of treating the chicks with Corid, and they still show signs of bloody or runny stools, should I continue the treatment of Corid at 1 tsp per gallon? Or should I give it a break for a few days before treating again. I have 3 3 week old chicks that are on day 4 and still have the runs and one (I'm not sure which one) still has bloody stools.

I would suspect that your sick ones aren't ingesting the medication in enough quantity. With Corid I usually see the bloody poos disappear in 24 hours. They HAVE come back a few days after the Corid was stopped, and then I had to do another round of Corid.

So I would try to several times a day - or whenever you can- give them (since you have a small quantity of chicks) a syringe of your medicated water- dribble it alongside the beak (do not pour it in the mouth or they can fall over dead from aspiration) and they should drink it in. With coccidiosis sometimes they don't want to eat or drink very much. In other words, I would keep trying with another round if it were me. As far as your dose goes, are you giving the Corid powder or liquid?

Last edited:
I would get some sulfadimethoxine, which is for cocci as well.

I would get some sulfadimethoxine, which is for cocci as well.
I've read there are only two treatments for Cocci and that's Corid and Sulmet. I've also been told by a local chicken farmer not to use Sulmet, cause it's hard on chicks. What is this Sulf.... stuff you speak of? Where do you buy it, and can you feed it to the chickens with the corid?

Last edited:
Apparently the corid may not be working. Forget the sulmet and use sulfadimethoxine as Seminolewind recommended. Sulmet is more harsh on their system as mentioned by the farmer. Dosage for the sulfadimethoxine is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 3 days. Your feed store might carry it, if not, Jefferslivestock.com has it. Here's a link:
http://www.jefferspet.com/di-methox-soluble/camid/LIV/cp/A2-DA/

X2. Zeiset, be sure to follow up with Probios in the water at 1 tsp per gallon of water for 2-3 days after the Sulfadimethoxine treatment. You can add vitamins-electrolytes to that drinking solution as well. You know, many people get concerned if the see intestinal lining shed in droppings. That is normal and isn't coccidiosis. The difference is the lining seen is terra-cotta colored, not bloody. There's a photo example here:
Shedintestinelining.jpg

The poop in the picture is exactly what I saw in the pen Wednesday. I haven't cleaned out the pen in three days. I plan to tonight than I'll sample more stools later.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom