Need help with Corid dosage

I started 6 chicks on Corid yesterday because 3 of them had bloody stools. All are eating, drinking, preening, and otherwise acting fine at the moment. I'm using the 9.6% liquid Corid. My question is how long will the diluted Corid keep? I mixed 1 tsp into a gallon of water and it will take the chicks a long time to drink an entire gallon of water. Should I make it up new each day or is it OK to store in a cool dark place and use for several days?

Thanks!
The dose should be 9.5 ml/gallon made fresh daily. Two teaspoons is actually 10ml, but it's close enough. When I make it for a small number of chicks I use a quart size waterer and put 2.5ml of Corid in it.

FWIW, I noticed that water treated with Corid changes color when left in the sun for one day, so it might be best to keep it in the shade.

1cc = 1ml

-Kathy

Hi I have 12 chickens about 6 and 7 months old. One came down with coccidiosis. She would not eat or drink and was getting weaker. I called a vet I had used and he recommended corid. I gave my chicken ( about 2 pounds ) a bit less than an 1/8 of a teas. mixed with a small amount of water and slowly syringed into her mouth with an eye dropper. Hope you have success. My chicken is finally showing signs of getting better. Tail is held higher, eating on her own, more perky. : )

Hi I have 12 chickens about 6 and 7 months old. One came down with coccidiosis. She would not eat or drink and was getting weaker. I called a vet I had used and he recommended corid. I gave my chicken ( about 2 pounds ) a bit less than an 1/8 of a teas. mixed with a small amount of water and slowly syringed into her mouth with an eye dropper. Hope you have success. My chicken is finally showing signs of getting better. Tail is held higher, eating on her own, more perky. : )
Welcome to BYC!

Kathy

Ho

No, Corid is a thiamine blocker and thus they aren't receiving their thiamine during the treatment. If you kept them on it forever, they might get a thiamine deficiency (is my understanding of this medication). I consider Corid so essential to chick-rearing that I won't have chicks around without a bottle in the cabinet on hand just in case! But I wouldn't be concerned about their thiamine status when you are battling coccidiosis, as the coccidiosis is life-threatening. All the chickens need to be treated with the Corid, as the poo they ingest from the sick ones will have huge doses of cocci in them.

In terms of your roo, I am very glad that he doesn't seem sick except for his diarrhea. If you will have a look at this website and scroll down to "droppings," you will see that green poo means that for some reason he isn't eating properly:
http://www.poultry.msstate.edu/extension/pdf/diseases_poultry_diagnosis_symptoms.pdf

Hence, hopefully it will go away on its own, and I have no other advice to give regarding him at the moment due to my knowledge base not being large enough. You are correct in that your little ones who aren't drinking aren't going to receive enough medication unless you syringe a bit alongside their beaks allowing them to drink the drops down themselves. (Not pouring it into the mouth, as this can cause them to aspirate and die immediately.) You would syringe the diluted Corid and not give them straight Corid.
[/quote
How much do you out in the syringe per bird?

Giving it to them undiluted? I read somewhere not to give full strength :( are you sure?

When I have a sick chick that's not drinking it's what I do and I have seen no ill effects from doing it, nor have I seen any properly documented info that says not to. If it makes you feel better, dilute it a little. For example, if you have a 500 gram chick (1.1 pounds) the Corid dose for that chick is .1ml, so draw up .1ml then draw up some more water in the syringe and give it that way. In addition to the oral dose I also treat their drinking water. Corid is a very safe product and almost impossible to OD anything on.

-Kathy

Trying to help a friend she has Corid powder 20% but her bird is not drinking well enough she feels to add it to water. Does anybody know the direct dose she should give and at what rate of dilution?

Thank you in advance.
Julie :)

Trying to help a friend she has Corid powder 20% but her bird is not drinking well enough she feels to add it to water. Does anybody know the direct dose she should give and at what rate of dilution?

Thank you in advance.
Julie :)
Take 1/2 teaspoon Corid powder and add 9 ml water. Stir/shake well and give 0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight (0.34ml per pound) orally. Does that help?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom