Need help with keeping Cage dry????? NEW CAGE PICS( UPDATE )5-2-09

xfilesnumber1fan

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Missouri
Heres a pic of the pen...The tarp keeps in dry fron the rain...No I am not using the tarp a as a top there is chicken wire welding to the pen under the tarp...The problem is the cage is where the pool use to sit so it is sand and dirt and dips alittle in the middle but very level and very flat when it rains it just soaks the bottom and takes forever to dry out and then the hay is all gross:sick Any have any ideas how to lessen all this mess???

( UPDATED ) I have cover the floor with large smooth rocks when put a thick layer of pea rocks over it..No more mud the water is staying under the rocks,,,and I can walk on it..On the outside we have decided to plant scrubs small ones and cover the whole thing with mulch..This is on the outside and that should help even more...I have the rocks down but not the tress yet will update soon with pics...Thanks to everyone for all the ideas....

19025_006.jpg

19025_025.jpg

Here is it almost finished still need the shelter part....
19025_019.jpg

And the wonder people who helped...My kids and Husband...My other daughter is behind the camera....
19025_002.jpg

Last edited:
OOPS! Didn't mean to submit yet. I leave the wading pool OUT of the pen and then they just get a small tub of water while inside. They seem to be happy as long as they can get just a little wet. Helps alot on the mess. See my website, go to post that says something like NEW PEN, maybe last week.

Sorry, no advice. Ducks are messy.
th.gif

If I didn't have a pond, I probably wouldn't have them, as much as I enjoy them. We have quite a few more and the 'iceberg' they created at their water basin in our barn this winter was impressive.

Its not the pool that is the problem...My ducks are swimmers....They need the pool...the pool has a drain system set up so when I change the water it drains out the back and down the hill.....The are mallards,crested,mixed pekin

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry, but no matter what the ducks tell you, they can survive without swimming water.
lol.png

Is there a way you can let them out of your pen and into your yard to swim every day? That works for me.
big_smile.png

And I free range all day.

It's not that your pool is drained out and stuff, it's the fact that they SPLASH like crazy when they're in there!

It's the pool keeping the pen nasty.
smile.png

Quote:
Sorry, but no matter what the ducks tell you, they can survive without swimming water.
lol.png

Is there a way you can let them out of your pen and into your yard to swim every day? That works for me.
big_smile.png

And I free range all day.

It's not that your pool is drained out and stuff, it's the fact that they SPLASH like crazy when they're in there!

It's the pool keeping the pen nasty.
smile.png

I dont understand why everyone thinks it good for ducks not to be able to swim??? I ducks love it...They are ducks they love water...And again its not the pool its the rain the pool has a drain and I only fill it half way the dont do alot of splashing either!!! and I was just asking if there is some way to keep the ground dry from it..Like a drain system someone has tryed??? Different bedding,such as wood shavings or pellets??

I am not sure about drain system but if you want to let them have the pool 24-7 ( thats what I would do ) I would get that nasty straw out of there before it starts to mold and put a little dog house in there for just wood shavings for them to sleep in. no matter what ducks are gonna get water everywhere

If you are having alot of rain the wood pellets would absorb only so much water then become mush.
It would only make a bigger wet mess for them to walk in.

Try no bedding and see if the ground will dry that way

I have used bark chips, not mulch for my duck pen. It is made with large chunks that allow the ducks feet to stay dry.
I buy mine at Lowes and usually get a couple broken bags which they discount for .50 cents... You have to tell them you know this, they do not volunteer this info!
2 or 3 weeks of good use before adding more. I prefer it over all other types of mulch.
It is obvious you love your ducks and want them to have their swimming pool.
My duck's pen is in need of a good rake out and refill right now!

Back
Top Bottom