Need help with my daughters Gosling please!!

horseyjess

Songster
14 Years
Sep 2, 2009
SW Florida
Ok here is my daughters Pilgrim Gosling. Her she looks really good with the exception of one part of her feathers. Please tell me what is going on and how to fix it.. Thanks
This is a few weeks ago

40479_217648_216397498373434_100000095556475_910769_3165980_n.jpg

This is now
sad.png

40479_100_0894.jpg

40479_100_0898.jpg

It needs to be taped. Put it in to position it should be in (With tip next to body) and use vet wrap or something similar and wrap her up - you might want to do both wings. Google angel wing.

I have a duck with angle wing. Its been that way since she feathered out. Did not know about angle wing until it was 3 years old and by that point I decided not to try to mess with it. Shes still doing fine with her funky wing, doesn't seem to bother her at all

Yup, one of my drakes has it, not too severe. I tried to correct it when it happened as a duckling, but it was impossible to tape up a terrorized struggling duckling and even more impossible to keep the bandage on - all of the ducklings worked at taking it off, not just the afflicted one.

A goose might be a little easier if she's imprinted and therefore not fearful of humans. She's still probably going to try to rip it off the second you put it on.

I hate to say this but the wing looks like it is probably beyond the stage where you can repair it.
You're suppose to tape the wings as soon as they start to flip out and before the pin feathers grow out,
dry out and harden.

Last edited:
Quote:
It is hard to tell from from the angle but I would call that slipped wing, not angel wing. I agree that it can NOT be made right at this age.
There IS something to be done to improve the apearance and help the goose live with it. If you look at the last picture you can see that some of the feathers are about worn out from either dragging on the ground or rubbing against something. Clip the badly worn feathers back close to the body, making sure that you are clipping only feathers, not the wing itself. This feather cut will need to be repeated after the molt as the clipped feathers will fall out and be replaced by new feathers (which usually wear out just like the present feathers) don't be tempted to pull the feathers since it pains the goose for no good and new feathers will start to regrow sooner. The closer you get to the body the more normal the goose will look and she won't have to worry about other geese steping on the feathers or using them as a handle to mistreat her. FYI slipped wing is thought to be caused by a wing injury while the wing is starting to grow it is not considered (by most) to be caused by genetics or diet. The cause of angel is subject to great debate, slipped wing, not so much. I had two geese with slipped wing caused by other goslings picking on them and the tape method didn't work with either of them. Good Luck, my two geese led fairly normal lives.

Quote:
Long term, if it couldn't be corrected any other way, and it were causing problems such as infections from dragging the ground, couldn't you have a vet amputate part of the wing? I know it sounds drastic, but it would probably give the bird a much better quality of life in an extreme case.

UGH if it cant be repaired
sad.png
. She doesnt have any other geese to pick on her/ She thinks she is a chicken. I bought 6 eggs off ebay 5 turned into stink bombs and we got her. BTW thanks about the daughter comment. I so wish there was something I could do to fix it.. Looks like poo cant feel that good either..

Quote:
Well, the thing is, its not really something that is going to really hurt the bird, unless like I said in a previous post that it gets an infection from dragging the ground or it interferes with walking. Probably more of a cosmetic issue than a serious health issue overall.

I'd try non-invasive methods first to correct or at least diminish it. Trim the feathers once they are no longer "live" with blood in the shaft. If that doesn't do enough, I would consult a vet. I looked online, they do use amputation as a method of dealing with this -- while it sounds drastic, it would actually improve the bird's quality of life. A good avian vet could do this for you -- in a healthy bird it shouldn't be that traumatic of a procedure.

Back
Top Bottom