Need help with my daughters Gosling please!!

Quote:
That would be a waste of time.

I would not pack up and head for gloom and doom camp yet. If the wing is still pliable enough and you can gently put it back into position and use duct tape and wrap the wing only , it might help. It may not be perfect, but it may prevent bumping fences or other things causing further damage. I do have one that is not quite as far out as your baby but I was still able to tape it back into place without to much discomfort . I would sure try. If you have any more questions on taping ,I would be glad to help you.

My thought was that the goose still looks young enough that it's bones may still be pliable enough for it to work. Not trying to be stubborn but I think it's worth a try. It really doesn't take that long so the wasted time is up to you. I've only had to wrap one but I read everything I could find and it was quick and easy and three days later she was great. Yours is more grown out in the feathers and I don't know anything bout slipped wing, only angel wing, but since this is the left wing who knows. I would try.

I keep forgetting to ask how long it's been that way - was it a recent injury or has it been getting worse gradually for a while?

Quote:
You are totally right. It is worth a try. Mine that I have to fix again is full feathered but young and I was still able to tape it with out to much discomfort.

Last edited:
Quote:
That would be a waste of time.

I would not pack up and head for gloom and doom camp yet. If the wing is still pliable enough and you can gently put it back into position and use duct tape and wrap the wing only , it might help. It may not be perfect, but it may prevent bumping fences or other things causing further damage. I do have one that is not quite as far out as your baby but I was still able to tape it back into place without to much discomfort . I would sure try. If you have any more questions on taping ,I would be glad to help you.

Please give me hints on how to do it. The feathers arent that pliable. I really want to improve it in any way!! I have seen pics online but really dont get it plus so many different methods. I will post creent pics in about 5 minutes gonna have my daughter grab her now.

Ok here are current one minute old pics. One thing I notice now that I didnt notice before is it seems like the tip of her wing turns in it doesnt lay flat against her body
sad.png
. She was hatched on April 16th 2011 so she is just a liittle over 2 mos old.

40479_100_0949.jpg

40479_100_0947.jpg

40479_100_0946.jpg

Quote:

Please give me hints on how to do it. The feathers arent that pliable. I really want to improve it in any way!! I have seen pics online but really dont get it plus so many different methods. I will post creent pics in about 5 minutes gonna have my daughter grab her now.

I will get a picture and show one that is wrapped. It sure looks like you were able to put it back into place in the second picture. It may be later tonight as we are harvesting right now. I am sure you can fix it.
If you can have your daughter hold the wing in place as it would be tucked under and wrap the duct tape around only the wing like in the picture. He may hold his wing out and run around after you tape it but he will be ok and get used to it. I hope you can tell by the picture that it is not wrapped to tight instead leaving it as he would naturally hold the other wing. If you have any more questions , just let me know. I will take another picture of another bird I just taped closer to the age of you gosling. If you get it taped, please post another picture.

Last edited:
I'm in there with anyone who thinks this one is worth a try. You have the wing folded back into a normal position in the pictures which says the twisted joint that allows the part of the wing furthest from the body to flip out isn't fused and is still pliable. Just take the end of the wing and tidy it up and fold it under the part closest to the body. In other words just make it look like the other side and then duct tape it while you have everything in place. Wrap just the wing leaving the shoulder joint free to flex and flap. You just want to prevent her from being able to spread her wing out right now. She won't like it at first as mentioned but in an hour will be running, flapping, swimming and whatever. You can leave the tape on until it sort of drys up and shreds off. Amazingly the wing won't be very stiff for very long and since the shoulder has been able to be used all should be fine. All you are trying to do is prevent that wing joint from twisting while it's weak and pliable. Once it's "set" in place your little Pilgrim should be fine. Good Luck.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom