Need Help with trachea or gape worm

davis2380

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2015
I have had chickens for over or close to 20 years and have never had sick birds before. Then four weeks ago I broke my own rule and brought in two new birds from a local critter swap. A week and half later I started losing birds, these were adult lays 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 years old. They stopping and drinking and laying. I did keeping the two new birds away for five days before putting in with the flock. five days ago I had to put down the rest my flock. What should I have done better and can trachea harm any other animals I have? I have ducks, dog, cat, sheep, cows. I did take one into a lab for testing. It came back with alot of information, I will be calling them Monday.

Did the lab confirm it was gapeworm? What were the symptoms? Deaths that fast and sweeping through the flock like that, I would be more likely to suspect a disease than gapeworm.

Very sorry you had to put them all down :hugs

Did the lab confirm it was gapeworm? What were the symptoms? Deaths that fast and sweeping through the flock like that, I would be more likely to suspect a disease than gapeworm.

Very sorry you had to put them all down :hugs
Thanks for any help, the lab report is saying a lot. I am going call them Monday to have them go over it with me, so I have better understanding of what it is saying.

I'm so sorry to hear you lost your whole flock.
I agree. This is more likely to be viral than gape worm. What do you mean by
It was not pleasant, I cried. The report said Mycoplasma deteced, PCR was negative, and that Pseudononas growth was heavy. They were very sick birds. Anyway I am call the lab, to find out what I need to do, and how this happened so fast.

It was not pleasant, I cried. The report said Mycoplasma deteced, PCR was negative, and that Pseudononas growth was heavy. They were very sick birds. Anyway I am call the lab, to find out what I need to do, and how this happened so fast.
Very sorry for your losses. Pseudonomas can be very difficult to treat and usually require the use of very powerful antibiotics. Did you report say which antibiotics it was sensitive to?

I'm so sorry that you lost your whole flock :hugs. Do you think the Mycoplasma came from the new chickens?

@casportpony what are pseudomonas? Sorry for the questions, I just want to learn.
They are a particularly nasty bacteria that are resistant to many antibiotics. These pictures show what drugs will work, and which ones won't. Disclaimer: not all pseudomonas will produce these results, so always best to have this test run on your birds. Anything that says resistant is unlikely to work, intermediate might work, susceptible should work.
kskb_lab_2a.JPG
kskb_lab_2b.JPG

Back
Top Bottom