Need hovabator help/advice

Anne

Songster
12 Years
Feb 11, 2007
Bellingham, WA
Hi,
This is my first batch of eggs with my brand new hovabator 1588 (circulated air, picture window, pre-set temp).
At the end of day #18, I took the automatic turner out and filled my water rings.
I know the thermometers that come with the 'bators are crap, but mine read 99.5 until I took the turner out. After that it never went back up to 99.5 -- now it shows 97.5.
I know the turner generates quite a bit of heat, but the lowest my room temp goes is around 64... you'd think the 'bator would be able to keep up, even without the turner. The directions say the room temp should be 68 minimum... and they also say not to touch the temp setting until after the first hatch.
I am worried about the eggs, not sure if I should toggle the temp up a notch, or just leave it.
Is it possible for a thermometer to suddenly become inaccurate?

Thanks,
Anne

How is the temperature holding now?
Someone else on this site mentioned having to put a blanket beneath and on sides to help keep warm.

If it's been more than a few hours, I'd raise it. The height of your thermometer may be different, now that your eggs are out of the turner. Just a half inch difference can mean a couple degrees difference in temp.

The temperature was at 97.5 for two whole days after holding at 99.5 for the entire incubation period.

Now it's 9:00 am on day #21, and thus far 6 chicks have hatched (right on time!), so I guess the temp was OK?

How weird... I was really worried there.

It is common when the humidity increases for the temp to want to drop. I am surprised the element can't keep up. Mine has always recovered very quickly. How long does it take to recover after having the lid open?

Back
Top Bottom