Need Input on Bumblefoot Treatment in Ducks

Hello cazsteggles2012, I am still treating my duck for bumblefoot and it is now almost gone. I put enough antibiotic to go into the hole where the cap was removed. You want to lightly swab the DMSO over it. If the q-tip is fully saturated and you are going over the antibiotics, it will suck them up off the foot. You want to make sure the antibiotic goes into the foot as much as possible then swab. For an extra precaution, I actually squeeze the q-tip over the hole so any remaining antibiotic goes back in the foot. You then want to make sure the foot completely air dries before wrapping. If you wrap it when it is wet, the antibiotics will come off and stick to the gauze. Also, as you notice the bumblefoot make a new scab (because it is healing), you want to pry it off again so you have an opening again for the antibiotics to go in. Good luck and keep me posted on your progress.

I have a Cayuga with bumblefoot, but I don't see a thorn and it's not pussy. There is an area that looks like it has a scab and another area that looks swollen and feels very hard. I soaked it in epsom salts for 10 minutes, rubbed activated charcoal on it, and sprayed with the Veterizyn and wrapped it. I'd like to avoid antibiotics if I can. I plan to do this as much as I can, probably 4 times a day. Are there other suggestions? Do I need antibiotics asap? Thanks.

If you have caught it early enough, you ought not need antibiotics. Is the leg warm? That is a clue.

Take a look at this - Haunted55 found that clear iodine after soaking will form something like a scab that, several days later can be soaked and removed, taking pus with it.

On July 1st, I found one of my Pekin ducks with what I would consider a bad case of Bumblefoot. Both feet were involved and I'm ashamed to say, the only way I found it was she was limping. One foot had 7 and the other had 3. I was able to grab her and bring her into the house and put her into a warm bath to clean and soak. Two water changes later and softened feet, all I had time to do was paint the bumbles with colorless iodine, grabbed the wrong stuff, and put her into a dog crate in my house until I could get everything ready to operate and get them gone. Did I mention the thought of this scared me half to death?

Sad to say it took 6 days before i was able to get everything together and someone to help out with the 'cure'. The following pictures are what we found after the bath we gave before the planned surgery to remove these things.

As can be seen, there really wasn't much to operate on, even though I was prepared to do just that. No matter how much squeezing or prodding or soaking, there just wasn't anything more to come out, it was all on the scabs that were covering the sores. The swelling was down from the 'marbles' I saw when I first found them. I poured betadine over the ones I had opened and painted the ones that I hadn't again with the iodine and put her back into her crate with clean bedding.

the next pictures are of the same Pekin and anothe duck, Dottie the Mallard, who was also found limping.

As can be seen in the first two pictures, the bumbles have been dramatically reduced on the Pekin with just the iodine application and the smaller ones totally gone. The last four pictures are of the Mallard who is still under going the iodine applications.

As can be seen, this is how the left and right foot look tonight on the Pekin duck. The heels being the worst are still showing infection and need for more treatment. tomorrow, I will again give a bath and pull/cut out the scabbing and treat with straight iodine this time. These spots are now flat or as flat as they should be considering the part of the foot they are on. I will still touch up the places that had the spots before as well.

Last edited:

As can be seen in the first two pictures, the bumbles have been dramatically reduced on the Pekin with just the iodine application and the smaller ones totally gone. The last four pictures are of the Mallard who is still under going the iodine applications.

As can be seen, this is how the left and right foot look tonight on the Pekin duck. The heels being the worst are still showing infection and need for more treatment. tomorrow, I will again give a bath and pull/cut out the scabbing and treat with straight iodine this time. These spots are now flat or as flat as they should be considering the part of the foot they are on. I will still touch up the places that had the spots before as well.

What I have done - before I learned about the clear iodine and we haven't had a bumble since - is follow the soaks with triple antibiotic ointment without painkiller. That takes up to several weeks depending on the bumble. But it works without cutting.

Thanks Amiga. The photos are helpful. The pekin's feet are so nice and bright and easy to see the bumbles! I will get some of the iodine. In the meantime, I'll keep the salt soaks going.

So do most duck owners check feet regularly?! We've had ducks for 4 years, and I've never had this problem and haven't checked their feet! I'm feeling a little negligent and want to avoid them having this problem if I can.

What do most small-scale duck owners do? We only have 20, and I can't imagine checking their feet weekly really...

You are so conscientious! Some of us check feet at intervals, I mainly watch to see how everyone is walking. If there is any clue that they are not trotting along energetically, then I will check the feet. So far, I have caught any bumblefoot cases pretty early.

Well we went up to two ducks with bumble foot. #2 is healing quickly and not limping anymore, though I'm still waiting for the bumble to go down in size before letting her back with the flock. but #1 is not getting any better. It's been 5 days. A big concern is she is putting weight on the foot with bumble and not putting weight on her "healthy" foot, yet that foot seems totally fine and doesn't hurt when we palpate or try to move it at the joints...
We tried lancing the bumble today at the part that seemed softest and with the most pus but only a little blood came and then a very VERY thick whitish fluid (though it was thick) came out, just barely if squeezed. It didn't seem like pus though. Here's some photos of the top and bottom.
Any thoughts would be so helpful! I'm debating bringing her into the vet, but around here it's Cornell Vet Hospital and just walking in the door costs $130.

The pus in bumblefoot in ducks is not what one often things of, the very thick but fairly liquid stuff. In ducks, the material inside is more like cottage cheese, at least in many cases.

Here is a method of treatment that has worked well for a number of people.

It was submitted by Haunted55 last year. It involves no surgery, just soaking, applying clear iodine, and gently pulling the scab.

On July 1st, I found one of my Pekin ducks with what I would consider a bad case of Bumblefoot. Both feet were involved and I'm ashamed to say, the only way I found it was she was limping. One foot had 7 and the other had 3. I was able to grab her and bring her into the house and put her into a warm bath to clean and soak. Two water changes later and softened feet, all I had time to do was paint the bumbles with colorless iodine, grabbed the wrong stuff, and put her into a dog crate in my house until I could get everything ready to operate and get them gone. Did I mention the thought of this scared me half to death?

Sad to say it took 6 days before i was able to get everything together and someone to help out with the 'cure'. The following pictures are what we found after the bath we gave before the planned surgery to remove these things.

As can be seen, there really wasn't much to operate on, even though I was prepared to do just that. No matter how much squeezing or prodding or soaking, there just wasn't anything more to come out, it was all on the scabs that were covering the sores. The swelling was down from the 'marbles' I saw when I first found them. I poured betadine over the ones I had opened and painted the ones that I hadn't again with the iodine and put her back into her crate with clean bedding.

the next pictures are of the same Pekin and anothe duck, Dottie the Mallard, who was also found limping.

Back
Top Bottom