Need Opinions on Coop/Run Design

Impatient

Songster
Aug 29, 2017
GA
I started my chicken adventures a little backyards and got hatching eggs before having a place to put the result, I just got so egg-cited lol. My goal is 3-4 hens in my relatively tiny backyard. I had three places the coop could go, but the largest area is directly off the side of my shed. I can't outfit the shed as a coop because it's also my laundry room along with storage for holding lawn tools and such. For reference, I live in a city that allows backyard flocks, but they're not allowed in the front yard, though I don't have much space there either, I live on a block, so no side yards. Being an animator and working best when I can visualize, I drafted up a basic idea (to scale) in 3D of how I want the coop to look. The space I have to work with is 7.5'x4' for ground area and 5' in height because thats the lip of my shed's roof and I want the coop to look like an intentional add-on and follow the shed shape. On to the basic layout, I have not added in ventilation or windows to the design yet because I wanted it to be sound before going detail crazy as that takes awhile to model out, but don't worry for I have not forgotten:
coop_front.jpg

Front
coop_3_4.jpg

coop_run_s.jpg

Side

coop_3_4_b.jpg

Back (this side against the shed)

coop_b_n.jpg

Due to the size constraints and my want of a "walk-in" run for ease of maintainence the coop and run will share the same roof panel, which be hinged to allow it to be propped up so I can walk in and clean (I'm only 5'3"). At it's highest the coop/run is 5', at it's lowest is 4'. The main coop is 3.5'x3'x4' (uasable area), the next box will also have a hinged top for ease of egg access + cleaning. The nest area is 4'x1'x1.5', haven't decided if I want to leave it open or sectioned. I also plan to use deep litter method in the coop and have allotted 6" deep of space, but I'm not sure if thats enough? Super long post and thank you if you made it all the way through, I've never actually designed a coop before because in the past I just used found objects like old dog houses and chainlink fence, so I want to really build something nice for my future girls :)

Last edited:
I have almost the exact same design for my coop, though mine's 6'x12'. :) For 3-4 chickens that should be enough space. For the nesting area, I have the same dimensions sectioned into 4, and so far it's working well, but I can definitely see the appeal of keeping it undivided. For the deep litter in the coop make sure your doorways have a 6" lip so the bedding isn't falling out every time they go in and out. I forgot about that and had to add that after lol.

Here's my coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-finished-coop-the-white-house.1174482/

Are the chickens going to have to stay in there full time? I know some cities require that chickens stay penned. The run is just big enough for 3, but the coop really can hold about 2 (and without more run space, they may need more coop space to compensate).

Are the chickens going to have to stay in there full time? I know some cities require that chickens stay penned. The run is just big enough for 3, but the coop really can hold about 2 (and without more run space, they may need more coop space to compensate).
Yes, but not because of the city, but because of predators. Lots of feral dogs and cats and raccoons. I do have a goal to make a little extra pen for them to move around the yard so they can work their chicken magic

For 3 birds you only need one nest...so you could use the extra nest space for feed/water or just more floor space.
I'd move the pop door to the shorter side, right across from the one nest, put roost on the taller side.

Those are some great ideas! I was having trouble figuring out the roost situation and that just solved it, thank you! In regards to the nest box, also like the idea of making it smaller to make room for food/water because that also keeps it off the coop floor.

I agree. My first coop was supposed to be big enough for 3 chickens. NOPE! We doubled the size, especially the height so that the girls didn't end up sleeping on the floor anymore,(which I am assuming was because it was just too small in there).
Take "chicken math" throw it out of the window and imagine that you are designing for 5 chickens.

Well I'm basing the design for 3-4, but I honestly don't know how many hens I'll have, just no more than 4 for sure. I had one chick from my last egg batch make it and I have 6 eggs going into lockdown tomorrow, though I think one or two may have died. As when I candled the other day I saw no movement, but I'll be candling again tomorrow night. Currently hoping for 4 to hatch, which will give me 5 chicks and HOPEFULLY at least two girls. Then I plan to raise up all of them, boys will be raised for meat and I only plan to keep the best laying hens if I get 2 or more. If they all are sucky layers I'll butcher the whole batch and order some Plymouth barred or RIR eggs. So main goal is 3

Back
Top Bottom