Need pictures of brooding pens for 200+ chicks hatched at a time!

moving coops

Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2017
I see such wonderful brooding pens for small numbers. But what if you hatch about 200+ a week. Let's see your pens. And what do you do when next batch comes the next week.

Thanks

Here's a few ideas for you.
I built a few of these - 24" x 48" x 16" tall. They all have bottoms but no tops. A single sheet of plywood covers the top one. I added a porcelain light socket on a dimmer in each one. Saw this on a facebook group and made my own plans.

I also built a couple of these. They are 36" x 72" and the box is 16" tall. I mounted casters on the bottom and made the single door into two separate doors. There's a thread here somewhere of the original designer.

Or here's an old outdoor brooder I found online a while back.

I've got another PDF document from Tim Shell that has a description and plans for a tractor type brooder I could send you.
I also saw a youtube video of a guy that used a hoop style tractor as a large brooder.
Hope this helps.

I see such wonderful brooding pens for small numbers. But what if you hatch about 200+ a week. Let's see your pens. And what do you do when next batch comes the next week.

Thanks

I can not remember if I showed you this home made "hover" or not, but a hover in my opinion is a great way to house 100's of chicks---they hold in the heat unlike heat lamps. As you can see in the pic I was running only 1 75 watt bulb (burning in the middle) but had to plug in the other 2 at dark(needed to be put on a wafer thermostat) The hover works like it was a Mother hen----that's what I call mine "Mother hen". The chicks get under it to warm--like it was their mother but can run around and come back to warm when needed. It is winter time in this pic(our winters are not like yours) I have mine outside with a cover top but open sides. There was about 120 chicks in this pic but it would hold more. I did as you can see use a wire floor elevated up off the ground 2" so I could keep cleaning up their droppings. Something like this could be hung from a rolling rack(similar to a rolling clothes rack) if you have the floor space, etc.

Back
Top Bottom