Need some advice on coop set up

Cpgrnwd

Songster
May 22, 2023
Central IL
We built a 6x8 coop and divided it with dog kennel material so there is a "clean" entry and room to store food bedding whatever.

My issue is getting everyone up to the poop board and roost. I started with an old ladder but it wasn't a good fit. I built a ladder which they do not seem to like. They want to fly at the divider. I added a board today to the poop shelf, thinking maybe they will like the half way point.

Can this work or do i need to remodel 🤷🏻‍♀️

Attachments

• AA0E1741-8CF5-4253-897D-DADC212D9906.jpeg
    AA0E1741-8CF5-4253-897D-DADC212D9906.jpeg
    634.4 KB · Views: 55
  • E6E3A98E-550D-41B7-848A-86A14298892D.jpeg
    E6E3A98E-550D-41B7-848A-86A14298892D.jpeg
    638.9 KB · Views: 33
Everything is too tight. Chickens don't like ladders and what is there is too steep.
They need room to maneuver up to the roost and back off again. They don't have it. That's why they're flying into the barrier.
I would remove the kennel panels and store things elsewhere or greatly reduce the size of the storage space.

Agreed that there isn't enough space for them to come down from a roost that height. You need at least as much space in front of the roost to land, as the roost is high, if not more. So roost 30" up needs over 30" of landing space in front.

They're literally crashing into the wall right now.

Give up the idea of having a clean entry (not sure what that entails) and store feed elsewhere, or just keep covered cans inside the coop somewhere off to the side so they're out of the way.

We built a 6x8 coop and divided it with dog kennel material so there is a "clean" entry and room to store food bedding whatever.

My issue is getting everyone up to the poop board and roost. I started with an old ladder but it wasn't a good fit. I built a ladder which they do not seem to like. They want to fly at the divider. I added a board today to the poop shelf, thinking maybe they will like the half way point.

Can this work or do i need to remodel 🤷🏻‍♀️
Yeah everyone else already said it. Too Steep. Bring the roosts down. Make a scaled down version of this video I made. Makes for easy cleaning. if you have the funds or have friends in construction, use unistrut to make an adjustable height roosting bar. You can also use a pivot point and rope to make it adjustable too.

Worse comes to worse build an escalator using an old treadmill with motion activation. LOL

This:

or this:

Ill be remodeling today! Thanks for the advice
Is that the roost way up at the top?

Before remodeling sketch out (to scale) what you plan to do and post it so we can all help you with the best layout possible for you and your birds. If you can get that barrier down and take new pictures, that will help a lot.

Back
Top Bottom