Need some advice on Emus!

Aug 18, 2020
South Africa
Hey everyone. It’s been a while since I’ve been on this forum! Feels good to be back.😁 So, I have some questions regarding emus. Basically my mum met one a couple weeks ago when she went to collect some live feed for our pets and rescues, and she fell in love with the 5 month old bird she met. She sent me videos of her and I also fell in love with emus. Now we want to get one. Our yard is massive and big enough to accommodate one, but my mum isn’t so sure about the whole idea for one reason: their ability to kill or injure other creatures. We have 3 rabbits who roam freely in our backyard who we are concerned about, and we have a small/medium dog. So here comes my questions:

Will a hand raised emu become aggressive and potentially kill or injure my other animals or people?

Is it true they become aggressive after 14 months of age?

Can emus coexist peacefully with the rabbits in the backyard?

If they can’t live with rabbits, could she live in the front yard with our dog 24/7?

What pellets do they eat?

Will an emu destroy our garden?

Our walls are over 2 meters high, is that enough?

And finally, we aren’t willing to get more than one, so will she be okay living without other emus?

Yes they can become aggressive I’d you are nice when little but don’t pay attention when they are young the rabbits might get hurt because in his teenager stage

Hey everyone. It’s been a while since I’ve been on this forum! Feels good to be back.😁 So, I have some questions regarding emus. Basically my mum met one a couple weeks ago when she went to collect some live feed for our pets and rescues, and she fell in love with the 5 month old bird she met. She sent me videos of her and I also fell in love with emus. Now we want to get one. Our yard is massive and big enough to accommodate one, but my mum isn’t so sure about the whole idea for one reason: their ability to kill or injure other creatures. We have 3 rabbits who roam freely in our backyard who we are concerned about, and we have a small/medium dog. So here comes my questions:

Will a hand raised emu become aggressive and potentially kill or injure my other animals or people?

Is it true they become aggressive after 14 months of age?

Can emus coexist peacefully with the rabbits in the backyard?

If they can’t live with rabbits, could she live in the front yard with our dog 24/7?

What pellets do they eat?

Will an emu destroy our garden?

Our walls are over 2 meters high, is that enough?

And finally, we aren’t willing to get more than one, so will she be okay living without other emus?
But from what I know:
Yes, they can be a bit territorial, especially to smaller chickens

No, individuals might become aggressive but not all will go out planning to attack you

I wouldn't risk it

No

They're special pellets made for emus, rheas and ostriches

Yes

I don't think so, but they can't fly, so I'm not sure

I think they would be better with others but know some are raised alone

But from what I know:
Yes, they can be a bit territorial, especially to smaller chickens

No, individuals might become aggressive but not all will go out planning to attack you

I wouldn't risk it

No

They're special pellets made for emus, rheas and ostriches

Yes

I don't think so, but they can't fly, so I'm not sure

I think they would be better with others but know some are raised alone
That is much better than my answers

Back
Top Bottom