Need some advice on Emus!

Thank you. I appreciate all the answers. I am not sure now unfortunately😢 If she would be okay with the rabbits then maybe but if its too dangerous for them I don't want to risk it. I was just wondering because the first hadeda chick that came into our rescue center was raised with our rabbits around. Eventually he thought he was a rabbit and lived with them peacefully. (He really just ignored them when he was older.) Hadedas are about double the size of a rooster. That being said, when he was older he was flying with other hadedas freely around the neighborhood. Hadedas also aren't aggressive by nature. But the point of that story is that I was hoping that being raised with the rabbits around constantly would make the emu either get along with them or just ignore them entirely. Especially since the rabbits are used to all kinds of crazy birds and creatures and wouldn’t be phased by the new comer. (They also have a closed off area that only they can enter and exit which is out of bounds for all other animals and birds. They use this area when they need time alone or if we are facing extreme weather) But based on what you are saying this wont work?

Thank you. I appreciate all the answers. I am not sure now unfortunately😢 If she would be okay with the rabbits then maybe but if its too dangerous for them I don't want to risk it. I was just wondering because the first hadeda chick that came into our rescue center was raised with our rabbits around. Eventually he thought he was a rabbit and lived with them peacefully. (He really just ignored them when he was older.) Hadedas are about double the size of a rooster. That being said, when he was older he was flying with other hadedas freely around the neighborhood. Hadedas also aren't aggressive by nature. But the point of that story is that I was hoping that being raised with the rabbits around constantly would make the emu either get along with them or just ignore them entirely. Especially since the rabbits are used to all kinds of crazy birds and creatures and wouldn’t be phased by the new comer. (They also have a closed off area that only they can enter and exit which is out of bounds for all other animals and birds. They use this area when they need time alone or if we are facing extreme weather) But based on what you are saying this wont work?
I wouldn't risk it. An aggressive emu can be dangerous to a human, so definately dangerous to a rabbit. Now if the rabbits were in a secure cage that would likely be a different story

Okay then. One more question! You said that it is a no when it comes to keeping the emu with our dog in the front yard. But the lady who my mum visited has quite a few dogs, maybe 3 or 4 (of all sizes) that the emu lives with. She even thinks she is a dog and runs up to the gate to see who is there. How come that isn't possible?

Okay then. One more question! You said that it is a no when it comes to keeping the emu with our dog in the front yard. But the lady who my mum visited has quite a few dogs, maybe 3 or 4 (of all sizes) that the emu lives with. She even thinks she is a dog and runs up to the gate to see who is there. How come that isn't possible?
Because the moment a dog decides that it might want to nip at or harass it, that dog is likely to get gutted by a kick. Same reason it isn't a good idea to keep horses and lose dogs together. And if the dog injures the emu's legs, it can be very, very bad for the bird. They need two properly workibg, healthy legs to survive

Will a hand raised emu become aggressive and potentially kill or injure my other animals or people?
Probably not. You'll want to raise them around all the animals you want them to be with, though. Otherwise they might see them as something to be afraid of or attack when they are older. I make sure all mine are raised around poultry for this reason.
Is it true they become aggressive after 14 months of age?

Not necessarily, no. But sometimes they might get a bit aggressive. During breeding season they are a bit more territorial and it's the females that tend to be more aggressive. Males can become aggressive if they have chicks.
Can emus coexist peacefully with the rabbits in the backyard?

Yes, but again, you'd want to raise them around rabbits so they don't try to stomp them as adults. And there's always a risk they still would.
If they can’t live with rabbits, could she live in the front yard with our dog 24/7?

Sure, if you raise them around dogs, but again, there's always the risk that something will happen. Also the front yard would have to be big enough for them, and have fences over six feet high.
What pellets do they eat?

I think you're not in the US, since you're talking about meters and not feet, haha. Here in the US there are several options like Kalmbach, Poulin Grain, and Mazuri Ratite pellets. Basically, try to find an emu or ratite pellet if possible.
Will an emu destroy our garden?

They love to eat greens and fruit. So, quite possibly.
Our walls are over 2 meters high, is that enough?

Fences over six feet are generally enough to keep them in.
And finally, we aren’t willing to get more than one, so will she be okay living without other emus?

No, sorry. Emus are social and need a friend. If you can only get one, you really shouldn't get them at all.

My emu lives with the dogs and they have no interest in hurting him but if he treads on them when they are sleeping one dog takes out a few feathers now and again which is a reflex action. They have been raised with both dogs and they will even lay down together but the neighbours dog gets attacked and stomped along with the wild rabbits if he can catch them. They also eat anything shiny which will kill them . It’s like looking after a 4 year old child in a lolly shop.

Back
Top Bottom