Need some insight on Feeding.

The Coop-D-etat

And to you good madame, I ruffle mine Feathers 🐓
Feb 6, 2021
Bismarck, North Dakota
Hello friends,

So I'm just curious and was wondering for some insight/recommendations. I'll be getting my shipment of chicks here very soon. But for a future reference I was curious on what to feed a whole flock, as in one rooster and 9 hens.

I know starter/grower is what's first. But I'm wondering when full grown what I could feed for my Roo. I've been told that layer feed isn't good for a rooster but some have no problem at all. I know layer rations is what's best for the ladies. But is there anything that I could have available as well so the rooster isn't getting an overabundance of Calcium?
Any ideas would be much appreciated for Feeds that could satisfy the health requirements for a Roo.

Thank you much,
Ry.

Some people feed Layer to their roosters, figuring that they'll be replacing the rooster soon enough that the long-term issues of excessive calcium won't be a problem.

Other people feed All-Flock and offer Oystershell on the side for the laying hens.
Ah OK thank you very much for the input.

I assume that All-Flock is just the same feed without the calcium boost. And the oyster shell for the girls. That makes sense. I plan on keeping my Roo for as long as he lasts so to speak. I'll have to look into it thank you very much.

Hi Ry,

Congrats on your incoming peeps!

I went through this same process as you. My first flock had a rooster. For the first year I fed them all layer feed, even through the winter. Thanks to BYC I learned of alternative options.

I have since switched to an all flock (flock raiser) feed of 18-20% protein (whatever is available) OR simply grower feed if the all flock is out of stock.

I have a separate container that I add oyster shell to. I mix a ratio of about 70-80% oyster shells with about 20-30% crushed egg shells. This is called free-choice calcium and is essential for your laying girls.

By using this method, you can safely feed your rooster and any non-laying hens or new additions (chicks or non-laying pullets) in addition to your laying flock.

Here's the container I use for oyster shells:

1614185579845.png

Hi Ry,

Congrats on your incoming peeps!

I went through this same process as you. My first flock had a rooster. For the first year I fed them all layer feed, even through the winter. Thanks to BYC I learned of alternative options.

I have since switched to an all flock (flock raiser) feed of 18-20% protein (whatever is available) OR simply grower feed if the all flock is out of stock.

I have a separate container that I add oyster shell to. I mix a ratio of about 70-80% oyster shells with about 20-30% crushed egg shells. This is called free-choice calcium and is essential for your laying girls.

By using this method, you can safely feed your rooster and any non-laying hens or new additions (chicks or non-laying pullets) in addition to your laying flock.

Here's the container I use for oyster shells:

View attachment 2543318
Thank you very much! I'm very excited 😁

I will probably do that instead then. Sounds good to me. If the hens know and help themselves to the extra calcium they need then no harm now fowl? 😅

Eggactly! You may find in the early days even the rooster eats some, but they usually figure it out after a few days. Again, no harm now fowl :)
Also, no notice in egg production/shell change?

I apologize for maybe asking an ignorant question 🤣 I assume not because you told me yoyr method on how you go about feeding 😅

Also, no notice in egg production/shell change?

I apologize for maybe asking an ignorant question 🤣 I assume not because you told me yoyr method on how you go about feeding 😅
When I first switched to all-flock, I wasn’t providing enough free choice calcium and I had poor shell quality. Since I added a feeder for them, their shell quality is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom