Need some partridge information.

reveriereptile

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Northern NY
Someone just brought 14 partridge eggs over tonight since they knew I liked birds. I have never owned nor seen a partridge other than a picture of some. I was wanting to know how many days does it take to hatch them and what temp. setting they should be on? After they are hatched out do I feed them game feed or something else? Will they start flying soon like chickens? What is the smallest sized opening that they can't get out of? I have some wire with 1/4 inch holes which I doubt they could get out of but don't know if I have enough for a nice enclousure or not. Want to be perpared incase the store doesn't have anymore of that type of wire. We have to many cats around that I will probably use a wire top on the pen instead of the screen mesh if it is safe. Not sure what type of partridge they are but I can't wait for when they hatch. Be something different besides chicks/goslings/ducklings. I'm going to look around the internet for more information also.

Quote:
There are many partridge species (http://www.gbwf.org/francolin/index.html), but I'm guessing these are either Chukar (23 days incubation) or Hungarian (24 days) as they are the most common in captivity. Typical incubation procedures are for domestic fowl, nothing special. Can you describe the egg color?

The young birds will have flight capability by their third week, a covered brooder will be needed. You'll get various opinions on feeding, just go with a standard game bird starter and also offer greens/veggies and chopped boiled eggs.

When you ask about wire, are talking about the adults or the chicks?? 1/4 should be fine for adults, I use 1 inch for mine, but keep a barrier along the bottom to keep chicks in and cat "arms" out. Screen mesh tears easy and could sag with snow & other natural debris.

Dan

Thanks for the information. The wire would be for the adults. The eggs are sort of a dark creamish color. Are partridge noisey or I should say sound better than geese?

Back
Top Bottom