Need some words of wisdom from some geese people!

Wow. More responses! I had to go to Phoenix today so I just got home to read them.

Yes I did take the car she sit near as I did today and she was not in the drive when I got home today but it didn't take her or him long.

I don't know if it's a male or female but whatever it is I can handle her/him as much as I want.
She/he is eating a lot of scratch and when I feed my chickens their treats he/she gets some to.

I think she has been going back to the flock at times across the fence but I found out that the oldest daughter came back for a couple of weeks and brought 2 with her. One got killed right away so I think this is the mate. The flock over there has not made her feel very welcome.

We do have predators but right now I don't have anywhere to lock her up. And I hate to keep her from the creek because they all love that! So I'm in a bind as to what to do with her. And she really does belong to our neighbors although they said if I wanted her that was fine with them. But I just hate for her to be alone! I guess I'm gonna be finding some way to protect her at night!! Hubby is gonna love this! LOL!!! He just got through building a run for the roo! LOL!

Jacie

Update: Well I think we have officially adopted Christmas the goose. We named him/her Christmas since that fits either boy or girl and seems fitting.
I went out to lock the girls up in their coop (my 4 cochins). (it's actually a covered fenced area inside our back yard and has cement footing all around) and as I stood there I watched Christmas laying behind my car and thought this is silly!!! I don't want more coyotes coming into the drive like they have a couple of time so I went out and picked her up and she didn't fuss at all. I brought her into the run and put straw down and some grain and there is a waterer there already so she is locked up for the night. I'll just have to let her out into the outside yard each morning so she can forage and go to the creek and lock her up each night. I called Tiny, our neighbor and told her. She said well Jacie, it looks like you own a goose now.
If she decides to go back home that's fine but at least she will be safe at nights. She's still pacing the fence line but I'm sure she will get used to it.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Jacie

PS: How do you sex a goose so we know for sure or is there any way to sex them without waiting for them to drop an egg?

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like you're doing great.
wink.png

to me, ducks are easier to tell boys from girls. the only way i can tell mine apart is the boy is bigger. but then i've never picked either of them up and hung them upside down for a good inspection. lol

You will have ot vent sex to be sure.

There are some cheap ways to contain geese. One is a garage (you'll have to spray out the poop though). I had a broody goose last year and I stakced straw bales around here. I opened the one in the front in the morning and closed it at night. It's probably not entirely predator proof against coyotes, but seemingly did the trick. And it's cheap.

There are also plastic dog kennels, some with doors, which are a cheap(ish) option.

Back
Top Bottom