Need the right advice re: 1-day old chick supplies

minaayindra

Songster
5 Years
I would like to ask all the readers a question about supplies for chicks. What I heard while on here was similar to a lot of other lists as far as items for a good start in the home, but I also discover variances re: what I should get. I have 14 chicks arriving in 4 weeks and then 5 guinea keets a month later. I am NOT handy so I pretty much need pre-fab everything. I am not worried about expense as long as I do everything right to give them the best start. I need to order soon to be sure I am set up- would you all be so kind as to let me know what you feel is a complete starter package for idiots who can’t make one? As in, brooder plastic or cardboard, shavings, feed medicated or unmedicated, dishes, waterers (I believe I am going to use the nipple system), heat sources (I don’t know if those heating platforms they can crawl under are safe and work well but they look great to keep the temp regular), a thermometer, whatever I could place in a rigid form over the brooder to prevent my dogs from becoming nosy (even though I am placing them on top of a large table), grit or no (Some people have said no grit, others have said yes, and I’m not sure)? Also, do I need two brooders to separate the guinea keets from my 4-week old chicks or is it better to put them in together? I understand the guineas need socialization with the chickens to guarantee no “hard feelings” but I don’t want either group injuring the other group. If there is anything else, please let me know. I purchased toys and then realized they were for grown chickens! Thank you all so much-

:jumpyWelcome to BYC!:welcome
Yes you will have grown birds. First have compost plan. Can make own out of wood or purchase cheap one from Walmart 2-3 bin systems. They poop a lot. This is your poop management plan. Great fertilizer for gardens.
Brooder need room for 15 cardboard box is fine. Baby pool. Plastic tote. Anything you have around the house that’s free. Use plastic under cardboard box FYI it leaks when they spill water and they will spill water. Nipple drinkers ok but if one day olds might not yet be strong enough to do read package if appropriate for one day old. Put sav a chick electrolytes in water first 5 days then once a week. Better nutrition and this really perks them up when come. Dip beaks in water and only offer water first hour then add crumble. I used medicated 20% starter grower because this was most recommended for best weight gain and protection from coccidiosis for first 8 weeks then nonmedicated 18 % starter grower was fine or grower feed. At 3-4 weeks offer chick grit then poultry grit 8 weeks. May also offer greens like cabbage leaves and dried mealworms at 3-4 weeks to teach them foraging. I put my cabbage in a peck n play ball. Just fun! I also put 5 inch high roost in brooder to teach roosting while young. They love it. I put crumble on the roost bar to encourage them to get up. One that is at least 1 inch wide is good in brooder will need bigger when out of brooder of course. Start oyster shell at 15 weeks on the side then layer feed 16-17% when at 18-20 weeks or laying eggs. The heat plates are great! I just used a cheap $8.00 heat lamp from TSC with thermoregulator because we had thermoregulator from greenhouse which saved us money. Temp should be 90-95 first week, then wean by 5 degrees every 5-7 days till 65-70 then off. Should have warm side to brooder under lamp and cool side by about 5 degrees cooler. Never put water and food under heat. Put clean rocks or marbles in waterer so they don’t drown first couple weeks. Have netting over top cuz they fly fast. Put out when feathered in earliest about 4-5 weeks. Should look something like this.
IMG_3873.jpg :jumpy
I even made a homemade chick swing. See articles under my avatar for diy article on chick swing. They loved it. Good Luck have fun! Make sure you vaccinated for Mareks before they leave the hatchery. Oh use pine mulch for bedding easy to scoop with kitty litter scoop and won’t get splayed leg.​

:jumpyWelcome to BYC!:welcome
Yes you will have grown birds. First have compost plan. Can make own out of wood or purchase cheap one from Walmart 2-3 bin systems. They poop a lot. This is your poop management plan. Great fertilizer for gardens.
Brooder need room for 15 cardboard box is fine. Baby pool. Plastic tote. Anything you have around the house that’s free. Use plastic under cardboard box FYI it leaks when they spill water and they will spill water. Nipple drinkers ok but if one day olds might not yet be strong enough to do ready package if appropriate for one day old. Put sav a chick electrolytes in water first 5 days then once a week. Better nutrition and this really perks them up when come. Dip beaks in water and only offer water first hour then add crumble. I used medicated 20% starter grower because this was most recommended for best weight gain and protection from coccidiosis for first 8 weeks then nonmedicated 18 % starter grower was fine or grower feed. At 3-4 weeks offer chick grit then poultry grit 8 weeks. May also offer greens like cabbage leaves and dried mealworms at 3-4 weeks to teach them foraging. I put my cabbage in a peck n play ball. Just fun! I also put. 5 inch high roost in brooder to teach roosting while young. They love it. I put crumble on the roost bar to encourage them to get up. One that is at least 1 inch wide is good in brooder will need bigger when out of brooder of course. Start oyster shell at 15 weeks on the side then layer feed 16-17% when at 18-20 weeks or laying eggs. The heat plates are great! I just used a cheap $8.00 heat lamp from TSC with thermoregulator because we had thermoregulator from greenhouse which saved us money. Temp should be 90-95 first week, then by 5 degrees every 5-7 days till 65-70 then off. Should have warm side to brooder under lamp and cool side by about 5 degrees cooler. Never put water and food under heat. Put clean rocks or marbles in waterer so they don’t drown first couple weeks. Have netting over top cuz they fly fast. Put out when feathered in earliest about 4-5 weeks. Should look something like this.
View attachment 1758119:jumpy
I even made a homemade chick swing. See articles under my avatar for diy article on chick swing. They loved it. Good Luck have fun! Make sure you vaccinated for Mareks before they leave the hatchery.​
Whew! thought i was qoing to have to type that all out (which would take an hour) but melky covered it all!​

By a month of age the chickens probably are almost or are off heat so the guineas if need heat will have to start in separate brooder then can mix in play yard when out of the brooder. :)

Back
Top Bottom