need to know if raccoon or hawk killed my chicken

arkansaschicks

Songster
9 Years
May 28, 2010
little rock
I really need help on determining which predator is my problem. I have had my chickens for almost two years and never lost one. I guess that is why this loss is so devastating!! My chickens are in a fenced 1 acre yard and have a big wooded area where they can hide. My babies hear the door open and they always come running and this time they did not. Even when I walked through the gate they were still hiding in the wooded area. Finally when I got close they started to come out just a couple of feet and that is when I found one of my girls brutally attacked. It happened between 1-3 in the afternoon. I walked all around the fenced area and saw no signs of entry under the fence. My fence is about 5 ft tall and I have never had a issue with any dogs. My chicken had 1/2 her side eaten away and her head ripped off and feathers everywhere. My thoughts are that raccoons dont come out in the middle of the day and that they usually carry their catch away with them. Then also I was not sure if a hawk usually rips the chicken's head off. I have seen hawks around before but they look small so would they really have the ability to rip the head off. All information and advice would be greatly appreciated. This was really heart wrenching and I do not want this to happened again! These guys are my babies!!

I'm really sorry for your loss. It sounds like a hawk attack to me. You had better take precautions because it will be back. I would consider keeping them up for a couple weeks and see if it moves on.

My guess would be hawk, too. The hawk will rip the feathers out and eat the head. Sorry for your loss. Whenever I let my babies roam, I always tell them to keep an eye to the sky!

That was my thought too. Do you think having a dog around helps keep hawks away? Why am asking is because I have never lost a chicken but I always had my dog Jack who would lay around their yard everyday and just sun himself and watch them. Well he got hit by a car on Sunday and I had to put him down yesterday so for two days he has not been there laying around the chickens. I KNOW he has kept other predators away but I wasnt sure about hawks.

You are not having a good week. I'm so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
First the chicken than the dog. Can you get some CD's and hang them in tree's where you have the the chickens or a plastic owl may work. You can get them at TSC if you have one of them around you. Again, I'm so sorry.

I like that idea about hanging CDs around. Someone gave me a disco ball looking christmas ornament last year and I hung it out off their coop. It really does a great job of reflecting the light but I guess not enough.
Thank you for all the condolence. I have had more people tell me how lucky I am to not have lost any chickens. It seems it is really a common occurrence! I am just so thankful for every day God gives me with these chickens! They are such a fun and wonderful blessing!

Coons don't carry off their prey, if in a run they kill alot more than one.......your dog would keep them out. Time of day more likely a hawk, not sure if a dog would keep a hawk out of 1A yard.

Rooster would be good to have though. My 2 roos keep an eye to the sky constantly. and sound the alarm if the see something. Sorry about your chicken:(

Boy do I have roosters! I have two in a different,connected pen and two in the pen with all the girls. My two Phoenix roosters which are in the pen with all the girls seemed VERY traumatized
after the attack

Back
Top Bottom