Need urgent help with incubator temperature - Janoel 8-48-

Not necessarily!  The CA is for calibration, this is used to match the incubator's displayed temperature with the thermometer temperature.

Once those two match, then setting the SET temperature to 38C should work at bringing the temp  up to 38C on the thermometer.  If not, the incubator is malfunctioning.

Press the SET button, then + until the display reads 38.0.  Then press SET again to save.  This is your temperature setting.

set what? Been six weeks since I used mine but this didn't make sense to me. Can you be more specific about what set setting you mean ? Would be great if after calibration you could tweak the display to match.

Oh I'm really in a mudfle here.
I just can't get the display to show anything more than 37.7
Inside though the temperature is still at 32.5.
So I can only conclude that it is not working correctly. :(

On the positive side:
- the alarm has stopped
- my husband has come out of his hiding place.
- I think I might sleep.

Read the instructions again. There are several settings. You need to be concerned with setting the incubation temperature, which should be 38.0. Press SET, then + or - until the display reads 38.0. Then, for now, set CA to 0. The incubator will probably heat to 36.3 and stop there. Go into CA again and adjust -0.5. Save and watch where it goes. The thermometer should now read 36.8. Work your way through CA until it's right.

Last edited:
okay have had to read that quite a few times to get my head around it. So even though the read out on the digital display is wrong she ignores that for now and just concentrates on getting actual (via thermometer) and digital read out to match. For now it doesn't matter that they are wrong.

Then once she has that I am guessing you mean set the LS as the lowest limit and the HS as the highest (not sure what they are for ducks) I cannot for the life of me see any just set button that lets you say make it 38 degrees?
http://www.backyardpoultry.com/forum3/download_vault/JN848 user guide01.pdf
Do you mean just set them both as 38 ?

Last edited:
One step at a time:

From http://janoel8-48.blogspot.com/p/instruction.html:

Quote:
1. Push “SET’ once.

2. Push “+” or “-“ to select the desire temperature.

3. Push “SET” once more to exit.

This should be set to 38.0 on the display. If all you can get to is 37.7, then use that.

You cannot accurately calibrate until the thermometer is at a stable temp, so temporarily set calibration to default:

Quote:
The thermometer correct reading is set at 0°C. The reading given by the thermometer can be adjusted if you find that the temperature reading is incorrect using a calibrated thermometer.
1. Calibrating the temperature sensor measurement = CA

2. Press and hold “SET” for 3 seconds.

3. Push “+” or “-“ until code CA appears in the temperature screen.

4. Push “SET”.

5. Push “+” or “-“ to adjust to the correct measurement.

Note that the adjustment is the difference between the thermometer reading and should be with “-“ if the temperature reading of the incubator is too high and normal value (indicating + value) if the incubator reading is too low.

Based on the information you provided earlier, your display reads 1.7C higher than the thermometer you placed inside. So to correct we need to CALIBRATE the built in display to read the actual temperature by setting -1.7 in the CA entry. But to be safe, start at zero, and go in smaller steps to be sure that the gap between the display and the thermometer is getting smaller.

Since you just set the eggs there shouldn't be an issue. But in the future, be absolutely sure your incubator is properly calibrated before you set eggs.

Last edited:
Oui je parle francais mais les explications étaient compliquées.
So now everything's gone to pot - I've lost the peacock and it's comiing in night-time. Brilliant !
I bet the problem is that the instructions that came with the incubator were originally in Chinese and translated to French.
I ran into the same with STC controllers from China that had worthless English instructions from a poor translation.

.. If so you could try just adding the difference to the screen in your head so you have an idea of temp without having to use the thermometer. ie if screen 34.5 is thermometer 35.5 you know to just add one degree to the screen for actual temp. ...
That's what I end up doing sometimes.

Give it ten minutes to slabilize before checking again. Yay on the alarm though lol

Low temps are less dangerous to them than high, mum has to get off to eat and can leave eggs for quite some time (at least chickens do, assume ducks as well). It's if it goes too high is a bigger worry. At one point I had to take mine out and put back in an egg carton wrapped in a towel until the temp came back down. It's early days for your eggs, hopefully they just think it's the time mum is on and off while adding to her clutch.
So true. I think sometimes waterfowl get off for longer periods.
104F/40C for any length of time will kill most embryos. They can cool significantly however for brief periods. Reading the link I posted from Brinsea - "What if the power goes off" explains it very well.

Hello,
I really appreciate your helping me still.

Last night I decided that i couldn't go any further. Because the temperature on the screen wouldn't go higher than 37.7 after pressing SET + whilst the inside temperature was much lower, I put a fluffy jumper on the top of the bater to try and keep it as warm as possible.
Today I went to work and when I got the bater showed 37.7 but inside it's 32.8 so things are not looking good here.

This morning I looked at other incubators on the web but it's complicated knowing what I could get. And, in the meantime, I going to carry on seeing if I can get a better situation here and now for my little duck eggs.
So I'm going to read in detail your instructions Walnut. I read them when I got home but I had a hard time following. Perhaps I was tired. So I'm going to try again.

Back
Top Bottom