Needing help identifying

Anderson Lowe

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 26, 2014
Halstead KS

Initially I was told this was a Phoenix bantam, but upon doing some research to identify, she's looking like an English Old Game Bantam.

Can someone with more knowledge and vast experience help a newbie out with this.

Thanks in advance.

Looks like a Ginger Red Old English Game to me, too. RavynFallen is correct: there are requirements that need to be met when trying to admit a new breed or variety into the APA Standard of Perfection. At least five breeders must have bred the new breed/variety for not less than five years, producing offspring that are at least 50% true to color/type. Then, various amounts of birds of that breed/variety must be exhibited at certain shows and reviewed by judges and the APA before becoming a recognized breed or variety.

It is perfectly good (and fun) to come up with new varieties of breeds or even new breeds. However, I would consider being the only person with a breed/variety to be undesirable. You would not gain much recognition by showing only against yourself, your single gene pool of birds would become inbred, and the breed/variety would not survive if you stopped raising them. Developing a new breed or variety of poultry takes cooperation among breeders and many years of work.

I love long tail breeds!! They do awesome in exhibitions! And because of this a lot of serious breeders have begun attempting to come up with New (and beautiful) color varieties. This is a very smart move because if I am the only one with blue silver or blue golden duckling Phoenix and the apa accepts my variety I have possession of an entire variation and will be able to win (like every) more shows and make more money selling eggs and chicks. However this is not something that happens over night and along the way some oddities come about. You have a lovely pullet but before dismissing her as oeg I'd check out the photos at the link below. Someone somewhere has begun breeding ginger red Phoenixs. Just saying, they look similar to your bird.....

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Phoen/BRKPhoenix.html
Is it actually "winning" if you have no competition? What exactly would you be winning?

I think you may have a mix with some Phoenix genes present. Here are some pix of my Old English Game Hens. I have 4 now. You can see the resemblance for sure.

This one is going thru molt so no tail feathers at this time.

The angle of the pix cuts off her tail, but she has tail just as yours does.

I love long tail breeds!! They do awesome in exhibitions! And because of this a lot of serious breeders have begun attempting to come up with New (and beautiful) color varieties. This is a very smart move because if I am the only one with blue silver or blue golden duckling Phoenix and the apa accepts my variety I have possession of an entire variation and will be able to win (like every) more shows and make more money selling eggs and chicks. However this is not something that happens over night and along the way some oddities come about. You have a lovely pullet but before dismissing her as oeg I'd check out the photos at the link below. Someone somewhere has begun breeding ginger red Phoenixs. Just saying, they look similar to your bird.....

The pullet is not Phoenix, tail is not right at all for it and the legs are fully slate as they should be for Ginger Red OEGB... I used to have them, that's why I recognize her... :)

There's an issue with your thoughts on cornering the market on a new variety... the APA requires a minimum of 5 years of breeding true at 50% of the time and must have *I think* at least 5 breeders involved... the more breeders, the better the chances of acceptance... it is a long and difficult process so I wish you luck in your endeavors...

Btw, in that link there isn't a Ginger Red Phoenix, only Brown Red Phoenix...

Back
Top Bottom