Needing some feeding advice.. newbie chicken momma here.

HatCo

Chirping
Feb 17, 2022
Bush La
I'm a new chicken mama. Regardless of how it happened I have 21 chickens šŸ˜³ there are 11 that are 18 weeks old (9 hens and 2 roos) and 10 are almost 11 weeks old.
They all freerange most of the day but grower crumbles are always available (they still eat quite a bit of it, although the older ones feeder doesn't have to be filled nearly as frequently)
I am looking to get laying pellets for my hens as that seems to be recomendation at this stage (and can help with cost of feeding so many chickens).
Problem is I don't know how to JUST feed the hens, wouldn't the other chickens (roos and 11 wks) eat it too? I have them in a greenhouse that we leave open during the day. It is divided by plastic chicken fence to seperate the younger ones (the older ones were attacking them initally) but the bigger ones end up on other side during day and visa versa. They are doing better but roosters still attacking but when smaller ones get a little older I plan to take down the divider (dont want them eating pelets - or could they even?) I'm so new at this. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. See coop in pic

Attachments

• 20220423_123455.jpg
    20220423_123455.jpg
    1,015.3 KB · Views: 13
Yes they will. Which is why I usually recommend that the typical backyard owner, of the typical backyard flock, with typical backyard management practices feed an All Flock/Flock Raiser* type crumble to all their birds, all their lives, with free choice grit, osyter shell, and fresh clean water available at all times in seperate dishes. Without regard to age, gender, onset of of lay, condition of molt, etc.

*Essentially an 18-20% protein, 3.5% fat+/-, 1.5% calcium +/-, 3.5% fiber +/- feed, preferably with about .6% Phosphorus, at least .35% Methionine, and .7% Lysine.

Because its easy for you, and its good nutrition for them.

All of my adult birds - chickens and ducks - get exactly the same feed, which happens to be 20% protein. I feed my youngsters a higher protein mix for their first 6-8 weeks (basically, until they join the adult flock) as I have facilites to separate the flocks. My reasons for that are complicated, its not something I recommend for everyone. But All Flock, all the time, for all the birds of all the genders is a safe and easy way to raise chickens, ducks, geese. Doing something different has limited benefits in limited conditions, and should only be considered after weighing all practical options.

My flock is in my Sig, below. You can see the results of me feed regimen here.

If you are looking to cut costs, check out your local mills and family feed stores. Chances are, you can find significantly better pricing than at Rural King, TSC, Pet Smart and the like.

Yes they will. Which is why I usually recommend that the typical backyard owner, of the typical backyard flock, with typical backyard management practices feed an All Flock/Flock Raiser* type crumble to all their birds, all their lives, with free choice grit, osyter shell, and fresh clean water available at all times in seperate dishes. Without regard to age, gender, onset of of lay, condition of molt, etc.

*Essentially an 18-20% protein, 3.5% fat+/-, 1.5% calcium +/-, 3.5% fiber +/- feed, preferably with about .6% Phosphorus, at least .35% Methionine, and .7% Lysine.

Because its easy for you, and its good nutrition for them.

All of my adult birds - chickens and ducks - get exactly the same feed, which happens to be 20% protein. I feed my youngsters a higher protein mix for their first 6-8 weeks (basically, until they join the adult flock) as I have facilites to separate the flocks. My reasons for that are complicated, its not something I recommend for everyone. But All Flock, all the time, for all the birds of all the genders is a safe and easy way to raise chickens, ducks, geese. Doing something different has limited benefits in limited conditions, and should only be considered after weighing all practical options.

My flock is in my Sig, below. You can see the results of me feed regimen here.

If you are looking to cut costs, check out your local mills and family feed stores. Chances are, you can find significantly better pricing than at Rural King, TSC, Pet Smart and the like.
Thank you šŸ™

You don't offer your location in your profile, and the chances of you being near me are "remote", to say the least - but if you do have a location, its possible someone on BYC might know a local mill with good pricing in your area.
I live in SE Louisiana.
Also, I went to a local place last Friday to get feed and they had a lical mix. I had decided to wait and keep feeding all of them grower crumbles until i found out more about laying pellets. I opened the bag (50lbs which helper put in my trunk) just two days ago. I went to see if it had nutritional content ypu recomended and realized he put laying pellets in my trunk. And ive been putting it out for two days (even to my younger chicks) as I thought it was grower crumbles.
I'm not sure what to do.
Do I pull that food now or wait until my husband brings the right kind (this evening)?

I live in SE Louisiana.
Also, I went to a local place last Friday to get feed and they had a lical mix. I had decided to wait and keep feeding all of them grower crumbles until i found out more about laying pellets. I opened the bag (50lbs which helper put in my trunk) just two days ago. I went to see if it had nutritional content ypu recomended and realized he put laying pellets in my trunk. And ive been putting it out for two days (even to my younger chicks) as I thought it was grower crumbles.
I'm not sure what to do.
Do I pull that food now or wait until my husband brings the right kind (this evening)?

I can be to your place in under 4 hours. ;)

Unfortunately, you are too far west for any of the local mills I've used, and probably too far east to get feed from West Milling, out of West, TX.

and caslcium issues are progressive. A couple days will have zero effect on your birds. Don't sweat it.

I went to see if it had nutritional content ypu recomended and realized he put laying pellets in my trunk. And ive been putting it out for two days (even to my younger chicks) as I thought it was grower crumbles.
I'm not sure what to do.
A few days of layer won't hurt anyone so just keep using it until you get the new feed.

Because my feed store is a bit of a drive, I make my hubby stop every time as we leave the feed store to check what bags they put in our trunk, if I can't see the tags on the bag as they grab them (usually I can see them, but just in case).

Another thing about bagged feed; always check the mill date on each bag, and plan to use the feed within three months or less of it's date of manufacture. The store will tell you it's fine for six months or more, but don't do it! Also, store the feed in it's original bag in a metal garbage can, under a roof, to keep it fresh and critters out.
The brand you buy will at least in part depend on what's fresh where you shop.
A local feed mill may be a great option for you, or not, depending on what they actually produce.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom