Needing some help and can't decipher the answer in the search

bt03

Songster
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Over the rainbow...
I have a mix breed bantam that has been sitting on eggs for just about 14 days now. She stole 2 eggs from our other bantam and hasn't been the worlds best sitter. she would often get up and leave and I would find the egg next to her at night and not under her. i never really expected the eggs to hatch but they did. the first hatched yesterday and i should have taken the chick as soon as she hatched but i wanted her to fluff out with momma before taking her. Bad idea. She let the chick wander off and get killed by the others just before i made it home from work. I left the second egg under her because I didn't have the incubator set up and I didn't know that it would really hatch. It started to pip and peep about 1 and unfortunately momma decided that her job was done and the chick as starting to shrink wrap being left out in the 100+ weather with 2% humidity today when we got home and checked on it at 6. we got her out safely about 8:30 but now she is not doing much & I don't know what to do at all. i looked and some said plastic containers with a wet sponge for humidity but that was when they were hatching & I don't have any plastic containers and the stores in my little town are closed. She has fluffed out about 1% and the rest seems kind of hard now looking like fluff at all. more like we combed her hair down strait. I know she must be tired from struggling for such a long time but I am really worried and need to know if there is anything else that I need to do for her tonight. She is peeping now and still has the last bit of umbilical cord(?) like stuff stuck to her and is trying to stand nut mostly falling over because she is so tired, I'm guessing. I wish I had another broody to put her under but unfortunately my other broody momma hatched out chicks 2 weeks ago so I don't think that would be an option. Please help, I have no idea what to do!

So, she's out of the egg? Do you have her under a heat lamp? Try getting her wet with warm water and peel the membrane off of her. Its ok to have a little stuck on the down. She will be super lonely though!

Quote:
She is out and the membrane is off and it was quite a battle to keep her warm and wet at the same time. The down isn't fluffing at all and that has me a bit worried. It has never taken this long for one of the chicks to fluff out. Her down even seems a bit tough? Should I wet her down again to make sure the membrane is all off? I feel really bad about her being lonely but the others hatched out to long ago to put her in and the only one close enough was killed before she had a chance at life
sad.png
I'm looking now to see If anyone has even a 3 day old chick that I could put with her, if not she is going to be one very people oriented chicken.

Ok she is about 50% fluffed out but the down on her back is still hard and refuses to fluff out and she can't stand yet. Is that normal? Not to be able to stand after 12 hours? She does seem stronger than she did last night and peeps like crazy if she cant see me or my daughter (great a house chick, lol) and can lift her head but she seems to tire easily. I know it was a hard process for her especially with the bad job that momma did keeping her at the right temp & humidity, so now I'm the worried new mom
hmm.png
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

maybe a little sav a chick or electrolyte solution to help build strength? Or, some sugar water? Maybe she needs a little boost after struggling so hard
smile.png
Good luck with the little one!

According to a few different threads, it is 1 TBSP sugar to one quart of water. I've always used electrolytes so I'm hoping that I am giving you the proper dosage...I don't think sugar water mixed incorrectly could do any harm either way...

Keep us updated.

sounds like she's a little sticky... after she rests for a bit (and gets some strength back) give her a rinse with warm water to get the goo off.. leaving it on won't kill her.. but she'll be more comfortable once it's rinsed out of her down

The last of the goo is off and she looks to be fluffing out better now. The sugar water worked wonders to get her going! She has been walking a bit now and is peeping happily. We brought one of the other chicks in to see if it would work having them together and it won't
sad.png
As it turns out the week and a half jump the others have on her is a huge difference especially now that I see this one is half bantam an the others are LF. Looks like she will be my special indoor chicken, which I don't mind because I have been looking for an excusse to to have one
wink.png
Now hubby can't tell me no, lol. She is happy to sit and just be with me or my daughter and peeps when we put her in her cage and go out of sight. I think we made it and are going to be ok
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom