Neighbor hates my chickens- will she do them harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that is really awful what all that lady is putting you through. I can fully relate to you with having neighbor issues. We own our home, it's not our dream home but we're just like anyone else trying to come up in this world and got this house and an acre and a half for a great deal! Going to fix it up (over time) and then goodbye to this place. The house next to us is renters and in 2 years we have had 4 neighbors, all except the first have been like that lady is to you. Throwing stuff over our fence, tormenting our animals, letting their kids poke sticks through the fence at our dogs ( I own 3 GSD's) loud music, etc. The lady who lives there now told me she was going to kick my butt (because my dogs barked and ran up and down the fence at their kids (the one's who poke at them). I use to command stop and let them come on inside when this occurs but now I just let them. They can't get out and even though they look scary there sweethearts so........Neighbors can be such buttholes sometimes and we have recently put up camera's just because these neighbors have been the worst and I am worried they will throw something poisonous over the fence to my dogs, and now my chickens I have. I think you moving that camera is a great idea and keep a journal handy and document everything (big or small) in it as it could come in handy lady if you have courts involved. BTW your rooster is gorgeous. Good luck to you and I will have you and yours in my prayers.
frow.gif

She sounds like an old grumpy bully hen! Instead of "crazy" I think "bully" is the more appropiate term. She is a typical bully suffering from control issues.
Yall seem to have a tit for tat thing going on; do not stoop to her level or play her games. Don't try to manipulate the neighbors against her because that can backfire on you as well. Crazy bullies are better at it and they always win. You can do whatever you want to on your property; she can do the same on hers. If she wants to walk her dog on her property, leave her lights on, play loud music, live in garbage etc on her own property that's her business.
Until you implement a policy of Absolute Disregardment things will only escalate until somebody ends up in the hospital or jailhouse.
And it seems to be headed that way! I agree with the posts that say she is trying to lure your chickens to her property and here's why:

Crazy people really aren't crazy; they're bullies and they never give up until they get their way.
Crazy people (bullies) will use the law to their advantage. And they always win because they play the victim card.
When your crazy (bully) neighbor went to town hall they told her there was nothing that could be done unless the animal was on her property. Then they explained the livestock laws and how she could seize a stray livestock on her property and hold the owner responsible for any cost or damages incurred by said animal.
When your chickens escape (matter of when, not if) and go to her feeders she will catch them and say they were strays. She'll kill them, LOL in your face and say "They were on her property and there's nothing you can do about it."
Then she'll say she was scratched by one and had to go to the emergency room for a tetnus shot. Crazy people never go to a doctor's office for $65; they always go to the emergency room at County General and stick somebody else with the $1200 bill. $450 for a paint job because your chickens roosted on her car and scratched it. $40 for the petunias your chickens scratched up in her flower bed. Blah blah blah ad nauseam
etc.

And I'm not just saying all that for effect; I've had animals injure other people and damage their propert and been involved in running feuds that lasted for years. Life's too short for stress & drama, that's why I have a Policy of Absolute Disregardment. I put a 6' fence around my property so that my business stays inside and I care little about what goes on on the other side of the fence.

Hope this helps or is useful or makes you feel better or something.

WOW - she and her crew are ones for the books. I have had to deal with crazy neighbors before we owned a hobby farm, but luckily we are now far enough away from our neighbors, we have not had issues. I do understand your position about not being bullied and quite honestly, I would have stopped being a nice a long time ago - I give you credit. But you may want to seriously consider getting a fence. The one thing I learned over the years is you cannot change or talk to stupid. People who take this type of vegence do not change and unfortunately, it will result in something happening to your chickens or rooster and then it just gets ugly from there. This lady is crazy no way around it and it sounds like she is just looking for more opportunities to get rid of him. The scary thing is what she could do since she has not gotten the town or other neighbors behind her. And with a fence, you get the benefit of both worlds - you don't have to look at her and she gets to enjoy the chorus of your cute rooster. We also have a rooster that crows in the morning, he crows when we get home and he crows just for the heck of it. If your neighbor just shut her mouth and opened her mind, she would see you don't even hear it after a while and how enjoyable life is with these great animals. Don't jeopardize the safety of your animals because unfortunately, that is where it could go and this type of stupid never goes away. I would check into a fence with a large rooster painted on her side :). Good Luck!

Quote: I love that idea! lol!
Also, get a tickle that everything she tried to stop your Spock from crowing just made him want to crow more!

Seriously though, she is scary crazy!

Haha the air horn bit of the story is funny, you go spock, you show your neighbour that you can be louder and better than her air horn :) as for dealing with your neighbour I have no idea how to help.. The rest of your neighbours have no complaint, so maybe your neighbour could be using spock's noise levels as a decoy to another reason of why she could be mean to you? Jealousy can make people very mean and do strange things like blow a fog horn at your chickens etc etc

In addition to extending her & her princess the courtesy of absolute disregardment I suggest you put a fence next to her property and put a pair of braying jackasses out to pasture.
,........LOL that's an excellent idea

Get a flock of Guinea fowl...that'll stir her up...they are noisy all the time and they run off everything from coons to the mailman

This is awesome. I feel so much better! It was great to have a good laugh. Just imagining her face the first time she heard the donkey bray! I just went and put a saggy 18 inch chicken wire extension on the part of the pen that faces her yard. All the while stating loudly that it was to make sure that nobody got out! It looks terrible...but it's temporary. We are putting up a garage soon and have decided that on the side facing her house will be painted in giant letters, "Cock-a-doodle-doo". And then we will put up a fence. That is great idea. I am over that it is what she wants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom