Neighbor hates my chickens- will she do them harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skunks are one of the primary carriers of rabies in wild animals. I wouldn't be handling them in such a way.
A rabid skunk isn't likely to crawl into your lap though. Even so, I wouldn't want one in my lap.

When I lived in CT we would spend our summer evenings on the beach (in Fairfield) and after sunset a couple skunks would cruise the picnic tables looking for dropsies. We'd sit in our beach chairs and just watch them waddle along then pack up and head home.

A rabid skunk isn't likely to crawl into your lap though. Even so, I wouldn't want one in my lap.

When I lived in CT we would spend our summer evenings on the beach (in Fairfield) and after sunset a couple skunks would cruise the picnic tables looking for dropsies. We'd sit in our beach chairs and just watch them waddle along then pack up and head home.

I used to live in a neighborhood that had loads of skunks. I would take my dog for a quick walk before going to work in the morning around 4:30. Mostly i would only see a skunk a ways off but some mornings there would be a couple dozen skunks out. They would hide inside the woods come into the area through the ditch drain pipes. In fact the drains were like a underground roadway for them.

Sometimes it got a bit harry getting back to the house without getting skunked. Skunks have pour eyesight and will head toward anything moving that's white, thinking its another skunk. I learned fairly quickly not to wear white shoes, unfortunately the dog had white spots on his sides, he did a lot of growling some nights.

Young skunks can sometimes be caught with just a yoplait yogurt container! They get their head in to eat the remnants and can't get out. Of course while it means they can't see you approaching, they can and will still spray when startled.

Young skunks can sometimes be caught with just a yoplait yogurt container! They get their head in to eat the remnants and can't get out. Of course while it means they can't see you approaching, they can and will still spray when startled.

You just mentioned why I have crushed any food cans, I opened while cooking, for my entire adult life.

I just ran across this thread and i think everyone has delt with crazy at some point. My DH says you can't reason with crazy. This applies to not only people but animals too! Lol

We haven't encountered skunks but we have a porcupine issue... We had a large vet bill for one of our dogs... Over 300 quills in the face, mouth, chest, legs and feet! It took the vet 2 hours to remove them all.

I just ran across this thread and i think everyone has delt with crazy at some point. My DH says you can't reason with crazy. This applies to not only people but animals too! Lol

We haven't encountered skunks but we have a porcupine issue... We had a large vet bill for one of our dogs... Over 300 quills in the face, mouth, chest, legs and feet! It took the vet 2 hours to remove them all.
Wow, how painful that must have been for your dog! Poor guy. Has he ever gotten close to another porcupine?

Fence must've worked...
Very quiet in this thread for a while now
Fences really DO make good neighbors.
cool.png

Interested to hear about the results of the reported grinder noise, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom