Neighbor mad about rooster...suggestions?

Pics
so he gets 100 chances to be a decent person?

absolutely not.

OP has already gone out of her way. this guy next door is hardly a “neighbor”
he's a jerk. if you give into a bully, he won't stop bullying. besides, neighbors support and help each other. OP is trying to be a good one, by sharing eggs and making accommodations that i sure wouldn't, but in the @$H hole's book, it's never good enough. i think OP should ignore him, and if he does anything. ANYTHING remotely harming you, your chickens, or your family, PIN HIS HASH
TO THE WALL

I can’t get over the logic of city dwellers who move to rural areas because they want to live in the country but then immediately take issue with the country.

Either the wildlife has to go because just knowing there’s a cat or bear in the woods is just too traumatic, or the neighbors have to get rid of their animals to accommodate them, or they seem to expierience the country on a whole other level as compared to the locals.

For example: wildlife has been disappearing in my area for awhile, too many people moving out probably, but the point is I haven’t seen much of anything in ages.
However according to one of my newer neighbors, he had a bear, a bobcat, a mountain lion, several raccoons, and a coyote try to break into his house and that’s why he’s prepared to shoot anything that wanders into his yard and ask questions later. He told us this a month after he moved in....
I hadn't seen squat in over a year but his place is crawling with critters seems...

My next newest neighbor claims a mountain lion snatched her cat off her porch right in front of her.
If she’d left it as that I would have believed her, but there’s more.
According to her it then proceeded to devour the cat in front of her and when it was finished it came back for her other cat, which it snatched off her porch and also ate in front of her. This story left me with a lot of questions.

Then there’s my other new neighbor, she took issue with our newest neighbor’s cow.
Her pit bulls attacked their cow, the neighbor’s kids chased the dogs away before they did any real damage but when they asked her to keep her dogs in her yard she complained that they shouldn’t have a cow in the first place here, “this is agricultural zoning” and then she started complaining that she can hear my geese, which have been here for years, and that they shouldn’t be here either.

she started complaining that she can hear my geese,

As I mentioned further upthread, I cannot comprehend why people who used to live with freight trains, mill shift whistles, barge/tugboat whistles, aircraft taking off or landing, highway noise, and neighbors with ambitions to be DJ's blasting their stereos object to farm animal noises.

Chainsaws, maybe. But animals?

I can’t get over the logic of city dwellers who move to rural areas because they want to live in the country but then immediately take issue with the country.
a few things of note here.

1. if your neighbor is keeping animals illegally you’ve got every right to complain, country or otherwise.

2. noise in the city is CONSTANT. it’s a continuous low drone that eventually becomes white noise for the people who live there. when i lived in NYC, i often had trouble falling asleep when i stayed a night at my parents house in the suburbs because it was too quiet. noise in the “country” is sporadic and it breaks the silence. i liken it to a baseball stadium vs a golf tournament. if someone yells at the stadium no one notices because it fades into the din. if someone yells at a golf tournament, everyone turns their head and looks.

all that being said, if someone is obeying all laws by keeping their animals, they should tell their neighbor to buzz off.

As I mentioned further upthread, I cannot comprehend why people who used to live with freight trains, mill shift whistles, barge/tugboat whistles, aircraft taking off or landing, highway noise, and neighbors with ambitions to be DJ's blasting their stereos object to farm animal noises.

Chainsaws, maybe. But animals?
There’s about a mile of forest between her place and mine too, so the noise can’t be overwhelming, I doubt she can even hear them inside her house.

There are wild geese that fly by nearly daily, I suppose those are also a noise issue if mine are that much of a bother.

1. if your neighbor is keeping animals illegally you’ve got every right to complain, country or otherwise.

2. noise in the city is CONSTANT. it’s a continuous low drone that eventually becomes white noise for the people who live there. when i lived in NYC, i often had trouble falling asleep when i stayed a night at my parents house in the suburbs because it was too quiet. noise in the “country” is sporadic and it breaks the silence. i liken it to a baseball stadium vs a golf tournament. if someone yells at the stadium no one notices because it fades into the din. if someone yells at a golf tournament, everyone turns their head and looks.

all that being said, if someone is obeying all laws by keeping their animals, they should tell their neighbor to buzz off.
It’s zoned for agricultural purposes here. If my neighbor wanted a head of cattle on his property he’d be in his legal rights to do so.

It’s zoned for agricultural purposes here. If my neighbor wanted a head of cattle on his property he’d be in his legal rights to do so.
right. i covered that in my post.

but not every home in the “country” is zoned that way and not everyone keeping roosters or pigs is doing so legally.

right. i covered that in my post.

but not every home in the “country” is zoned that way and not everyone keeping roosters or pigs is doing so legally.

As I said in my post I am in ag zoning so I don’t really know why you’re trying to educate me on what’s illegal in non ag zoning. Obviously it wouldn’t be okay to put in a pig or whatever farm in certain areas for a number of reasons, but this thread is about ag zoned areas, so what goes on in non ag areas, illegal or otherwise, doesn’t pertain to those zoned for agriculture.

I don’t really know why you’re trying to educate me on what’s illegal in non ag zoning.
i’m not trying to educate you. you asked why people move to the country and complain about noise. i offered two explanations.

as i said, if you’re keeping your animals legally then your neighbors can suck it.

i wouldn't say buzz off, but very true. there is a huge noise difference, and i can't stand the city. there is always the sound of young men,(aka obnoxious engines) and in my case, the country is quiet. now, feel lucky that everyone is far apart here.

Back
Top Bottom