Neighbor shooting BB guns at my birds!

Living in the country and getting upset about hearing a rooster crow is like going to the beach and getting upset about how sandy it is.

It's definitely illegal to shoot at livestock on there own property, call the authorities. You don't want to get yourself in trouble......even a threat could give him ammo to use against you.

State and county laws vary but typically, if there's no leash law, the person is responsible for being in complete control of the animal at all times. If it's on your property, the owner is not in control. I would call the police or sheriff on him. You don't want someone like that in a law enforcement position. Honestly, he sounds a little disturbed to me.

This guy has a severe mental issue. He is putting on riot gear to hide in a shed and shoot at chickens with a bb gun? What is he 8 years old?

Seriously if this person is allowed to become a law enforcement officer then there is definitely something seriously wrong with the screening process, this guy will end up like the cop we had here in a town about 10 miles away back in 2007, he was also obviously a deranged idiot and went into a highschool kid's party one night and shot and killed a bunch of teenagers, 5 or 6 died and 1 wounded, he played dead to avoid being shot again. This cop was hunted down the next day and was killed either by another cop or suicide, it was unclear.

I would say it is your duty to the public to report this idiot to law enforcement and continue reporting as incidents continue, also try and capture video of him in his costume running to his hiding place with his bb gun, or any other odd activity that is aimed at harassing you or your animals. I'm not sure where you are located but law enforcement will treat a bb gun shot the same as a shot from a big bore rifle, I know because my younger brother accidentally shot himself in the leg when he was a kid and the bb barely broke skin but the hospital did have to report it as a gunshot wound and the police did show up to investigate.

I would also be worried that this retard will sooner or later realize that the bb gun won't do the job from his distance and start firing actual lead into your yard at your birds and possibly kill them or damage your home or even worse kill you with a stray bullet.

As for his pit bulls, well the first time they made it into my yard they would be shot and not with a bb gun.

This guy has a severe mental issue. He is putting on riot gear to hide in a shed and shoot at chickens with a bb gun? What is he 8 years old?

Seriously if this person is allowed to become a law enforcement officer then there is definitely something seriously wrong with the screening process, this guy will end up like the cop we had here in a town about 10 miles away back in 2007, he was also obviously a deranged idiot and went into a highschool kid's party one night and shot and killed a bunch of teenagers, 5 or 6 died and 1 wounded, he played dead to avoid being shot again. This cop was hunted down the next day and was killed either by another cop or suicide, it was unclear.

I would say it is your duty to the public to report this idiot to law enforcement and continue reporting as incidents continue, also try and capture video of him in his costume running to his hiding place with his bb gun, or any other odd activity that is aimed at harassing you or your animals. I'm not sure where you are located but law enforcement will treat a bb gun shot the same as a shot from a big bore rifle, I know because my younger brother accidentally shot himself in the leg when he was a kid and the bb barely broke skin but the hospital did have to report it as a gunshot wound and the police did show up to investigate.

I would also be worried that this retard will sooner or later realize that the bb gun won't do the job from his distance and start firing actual lead into your yard at your birds and possibly kill them or damage your home or even worse kill you with a stray bullet.

As for his pit bulls, well the first time they made it into my yard they would be shot and not with a bb gun.

DITTO!!!

TEM makes good points. Check the laws in your area. In MO, any dog that worries livestock, you can track across the state and kill it wherever you find it except in a pen on its owners property. I have a neighbor with 7 malamute/husky crosses. They've attacked my flocks 5 times that I know of. Killed 9 the first time and 4 more last fall. They were back a couple weeks ago before they were out of their coops. She heard the shotgun blast and I told her, next time, the dogs won't be coming home.

I'm going to have to re-read the law. I live in Missouri and I don't recall anything that says you can track a dog across the state and shoot it where it's found. What I read was that you can kill it if it's on your property and bothering (worrying) livestock. Also keep in mind that just because the law allows you to kill animals that are bothering or worrying your livestock doesn't mean that a civil lawsuit can't be brought against you and if you end up with a dog loving judge, he could decide in favor of the plaintiff (dog owner) on grounds that maybe you didn't do everything in your power to make sure your chickens were secure from danger.

Most police departments come and interview the neighbors of prospective employees. I know I had a detective show up when a neighbor was working to become one. Make sure you give honest and truthful feedback. If they don't come to you asking for it, go to them and offer it. The liability of a bad cop is more than most towns want. Maybe he will grow up and learn there are consequences to his actions.

I am in Missouri and have researched the issue with respect to dogs. My location does not require a leash thus state laws are what apply. I can kill a dog in the act of killing or harassing livestock on my property but cannot kill dog simply because it is trespassing any more than I could kill a human for same offense. I can have dog picked up by county if it is causing trouble. If dog is under control by another party on my property even after it kills livestock I can not kill if that other party does not want it killed. Nor can I pursue it off property to kill it even after it kills stock.

So you haven't called the Sheriff's Dept yet? I bet the people in your town would unknowingly be thankful for not having that nutjob in a position of authority. In all likelihood you just happened to catch him this time if he's getting all geared up and playing police officer. Imagine dealing with him after he gets a job with the police. You will be that crazy lady next door that blames him for every dead chicken in her yard. Act promptly. Request a deputy. he will fill out an incident report and you will write a statement. It will take 20 minutes at the most and you have a record for future occurrences and may well help out everyone in that area if he is trying to get a job with the particular dept you contact.

Back
Top Bottom