Neighbor's Dog Attacking Flock

PitbullLover

Hatching
Mar 8, 2016
Hey everyone!

I have experienced something tonight that I have not had an issue with since we have lived in this location. I was outside leaf-blowing when I turned my head to see my chickens being attacked by a neighbor's dog (a hound). This happened, literally, within 5 feet of me. I, of course, chased it off of the property and also made the owners aware of what their dog did.

I now fear that since the dog has tasted the chickens and know that they are back there that it will be back.

What have others done in a situation like this? I really hope that they will keep a better eye on it now that I made them aware, but I need to expect the worse.

Thanks!!

PitbullLover

Unfortunately you may need to keep your chickens confined or put up a good fence. I wouldn't count on someone controlling their dog, but maybe your neighbors will. That's too bad.

Thank you for your reply!

I have thought of that, but really hate the idea of them not being able to free range while I am home. I may try to put up a fence, for at least the time being. I live right next to the woods, so it is strange that it is not a coyote that is the problem, but someone's dog. I just truly am hoping for the best.

I have nice, secure runs attached to my coops. That way when I am having predator problems, or family comes to visit with their dogs, I can keep them penned and safe. I know you hate the idea of them not being able to be out when you are out, but that didn't seem to make a difference with the dog, did it? I'm guessing you'd feel worse having one or more killed than having to pen them up for a while. I'd give it a week or more, to be sure the neighbors are going to keep their dog at home.

Did the dog kill any of the chickens? Unfortunately dogs kill for sport, and hounds especially have that predator drive. I would follow up with your neighbors and ask them what they've done to keep the dog confined to their property. Make sure they know how serious it is.

My dog killed three of our chickens. At first we thought it was a raccoon, and that our dog was the protector, but a bit too late we did find out it was our dog. We have a secure chicken run, so we had to keep them in there for a while while we trained our dog. He doesn't have a problem now, that was a long time ago. I would say to put up a secure fence. If the dog is persistent, you might have to expand your run, and only have the chickens out under your supervision. I'm sorry that happened, your chickens are a part of your family. Good luck

Hey everyone!

I have experienced something tonight that I have not had an issue with since we have lived in this location. I was outside leaf-blowing when I turned my head to see my chickens being attacked by a neighbor's dog (a hound). This happened, literally, within 5 feet of me. I, of course, chased it off of the property and also made the owners aware of what their dog did.

I now fear that since the dog has tasted the chickens and know that they are back there that it will be back.

What have others done in a situation like this? I really hope that they will keep a better eye on it now that I made them aware, but I need to expect the worse.

Thanks!!

PitbullLover

If the dog killed or injured any of your chickens you can present a bill to your neighbors. Perhaps hitting your neighbors in their pocketbook will make them more serious about keeping the dog home. You can also file a report with animal control so if the dog does something like this again to either you or someone else it will be on record that it wasn't the first time.

Thank you all for your replys! The dog did bit kill one, but it did chew one up. Now the reason it did not kill one is for the sole reason I was right there. This dog did this within 5 feet of my presence. If I did not have a leaf blower running I think I could have prevented the whole thing. I'm going to keep them confined for a few days or only let them out when I am also out there and I am going to keep a more watchful eye.

Back
Top Bottom