Nervous New Mom

BonnieBlue

Songster
Apr 20, 2022
I have a couple of thread asking questions, and am getting good advice. (Thank you to all replying.)

But a couple of mistakes on my coop (correctable to a point, tho not completely), have me suddenly in a panic. These little babies are living beings in my care, and I am now questioning myself on if I can do this. I know it sounds stupid, especially for someone who was raised on a farm taking care of cows and sheep. Not to mention, I've had very few years in my life that I didn't have a dog. But those are larger animals. The chicks are so little and vulnerable. To my credit, they will be a week old tomorrow, and so far, all are alive, and seem healthy and happy.

Is this normal? Did anyone else have "new mom" panic and question their abilities to raise chickens? I am suddenly doubting myself because I am not doing everything perfectly!

I do!!!! I am a new chick "mom". I have had dogs, hamsters, fish, honeybees and even hermit crabs. I am totally a city girl who moved into a rural area and so I decided to keep layers. Last year, I started beekeeping. And I didn't do everything perfect and everything worked out fine. The hive ended up by being robbed and the invaders killed the queen and the hive collapsed. And you know what that same thing happened to a friend who has been a beekeeper for 30 years. I can throw myself into panic quicker than anything but then I tell myself I am only human and not perfect and as long as I do my best I think things will be fine. I am already worrying about winter here in South Dakota and having these chickens. ughhh! My chicks are only two weeks old. Objectively they are growing, they look healthy and they seem relatively calm except for loud noises. So I keep focusing on the objective not the subjective (feelings & worry) Maybe that could work for you too. Stay calm and chirp on! 😉🐤

Not panic per se... I did learn a lot of things to improve my setup here, and it's still a work in progress. I also learned that a lot of health problems can just come from the genetics of your birds, and there's little in the way of a guarantee that even in "perfect" conditions things will actually go perfectly for each individual in your flock.

I've tried adjusting my outlook to "flock" management vs. expecting 10 years of fully healthy life for each bird. I'm also moving towards a backyard mix vs. purebred for (hopefully) more hybrid vigor, or at least less inbreeding. Goals are to regularly monitor health and treat any issues, prevent predation as much as possible, and accept up front that I'm raising a prey animal designed for rapid reproduction and shorter lives than most of my other animals.

Thank you to both of you for replies.

The protecting against predators part is what I am trying my best to get "right" and keep questioning myself on.

The perfectionist in me kicked my tush this morning. I have to let go of that. I am doing something new for me, but something I have long wanted to do, and I need to just focus on that. Striving for excellence, not perfection, right?

I have a combination of Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers. They are so stinkin cute. But so small!

Panic only sets in if your not sure about what your doing and start questioning yourself. To alleviate that get educated in every aspect of a chickens life and medical aid. Panic gone.
Thank you. I read and read before getting chicks, and I still am reading. Luckily, everyone on this forum have been very helpful with questions, helping me learn.

Healthy chicks, in the proper environment and setup, are hardier than most people think they are.
This! I think most of us have over-coddled, worried, fretted and panicked over the first group of chicks. My second batch, I put them outside and raised them there, only bringing them into the garage during rain. Third batch, they didn't even get to come in the garage (turns out chicks don't melt in rain!)

Young chicks are a weird combination of being both very fragile and yet hardier and tougher than they look.

Healthy chicks, in the proper environment and setup, are hardier than most people think they are.
That makes sense. A lot of sense!

This! I think most of us have over-coddled, worried, fretted and panicked over the first group of chicks. My second batch, I put them outside and raised them there, only bringing them into the garage during rain. Third batch, they didn't even get to come in the garage (turns out chicks don't melt in rain!)

Young chicks are a weird combination of being both very fragile and yet hardier and tougher than they look.

I'm glad to know that I am not the only one who has been this way with their first batch. It sounds like kids. First kid, sterilize the dropped pacifier. Second kid, swish it around it your water glass, and shove it back in their mouth. lol

"Turns out chicks don't melt in rain" gave me a needed laugh.

My neighbor came over this evening, and he knows how I am fretting over keeping them safe. I got asked "are you gonna hire a security detail for them"? Seems I have been a bit fussy!

Thanks for some great replies.

Back
Top Bottom