Nervous! Silkie has pipped, making noise but isnt fully hatching....

Apr 16, 2024
I have hatched 3 silkies out of a clutch of 7 with 2 more attempting to make their way into the world. 1 small one seems to be doing okay, but I have another one who seems to be very active inside the shell, pieces of the shell are falling off to reveal a white turning brown memebrane and the place where it starting pipping its broken through the membrane and I see little slimy feathers and when I quickly and gently picked it up to candle i could feel the whole little chick moving and chirping, but it also sounds like the little one is "chewing" but its been almost 36 hours....not sure what to do?

I do think the membrane was starting to dryout so i applied coconut oil on the exposed membrane and traced the edges of the egg shell with coconut oil..is there something else i should be doing?

Hopefully it is hatched now! The “chewing” is what they do when they are absorbing their yolk. From the sound of it, it seems like it was unzipping at the time that you candled it? If it is stuck in one position though it likely will need assistance. Have you read through the thread on assisting?

Back
Top Bottom