Nest box idea- will this work?

Tiranni

Songster
Jul 20, 2019
Hutchinson, MN
We did the milk crate idea with nesting material, and my hens lay everywhere but in the nesting boxes. We were thinking of adding an old shoe rack which the dimensions work. We have two of them, so we would stack them and screw them one on top of the other. I'm just worried, as it's veneer covered particle board. Has anyone done this? Any thoughts on if it would work?

IMG_20200111_101558.jpg

Pretend like it doesn't look super dirty. We are currently using it for our snow boots. Also, the velcro on the top would be peeled off before we used it for the chickens.

Last edited:
That'll be perfect

Update; btw that gives me the idea of heading to ReStore when I build my new coop to try to find something like that, cheap.

Last edited:
Looks like a great idea! I'd put a board in the front, so the eggs don't roll out (or get pushed out). The hens like it dark, so just make sure it is positioned so it doesn't get too much light in - maybe that is why they don't use your milk crates? You could fill with hay, or we've had a lot of luck with washable mats like these - https://amzn.to/39ZGi0p
If you are worried about the veneer, maybe just paint any edges that don't have a veneer on them, to be sure it doesn't peel up/get damaged. But sounds like you'd be fine! Great re-use idea!

That looks like a great starting point. They'll probably beat up the veneer over time but that shouldn't be an issue. And yes I'd nail a 1x4 or 2x4 across the front of the openings to form a lip, to keep bedding and eggs inside. For a top row, you'll need to add some sort of landing bar as well so they can fly up and land on it to get in.

Looks like a great idea! I'd put a board in the front, so the eggs don't roll out (or get pushed out). The hens like it dark, so just make sure it is positioned so it doesn't get too much light in - maybe that is why they don't use your milk crates? You could fill with hay, or we've had a lot of luck with washable mats like these - https://amzn.to/39ZGi0p
If you are worried about the veneer, maybe just paint any edges that don't have a veneer on them, to be sure it doesn't peel up/get damaged. But sounds like you'd be fine! Great re-use idea!
Thank you! My husband is so proud, because this was his idea. We will have a fun project to do now, that should hopefully help the hens lay in the right places. Eggs on the poop board gross me out. :sick

Just a thought- This will work for nesting. However, why don't they like you current system? Mites in the bedding? to bright? My chickens love to sneak into the duck house and lay eggs in the ducks milk crate. But it is the darkest of corners. I think they like that.

Just a thought- This will work for nesting. However, why don't they like you current system? Mites in the bedding? to bright? My chickens love to sneak into the duck house and lay eggs in the ducks milk crate. But it is the darkest of corners. I think they like that.
I'm not sure why they don't honestly, it has everything they need. It could very well be the amount of light, and less private--since milk crates have holes all over them.

Here's to hoping our little project works. 😊

Back
Top Bottom