Nest Box Issue

Oneofeach

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 31, 2011
I have pullets that are about 4 months old. They are in their permanent coop and I have put straw in their nesting boxes and every week they pull all the straw out and throw it on the floor. Is it that they don't know what to do with the boxes or do I need to try another type of bedding for them? Thanks

I use straw in mine which my girls pick at a little and will eat anything that looks like it has a seed head on it, but generally seem okay with it and leave enough for nesting. However, I've read various posts describing the pros and cons of straw. I've also heard people use anything from shredded newpaper, nest pads, pine shavings, etc. You may have to experiment to see what they are comfortable with.

Ok - shavings it is for a bit. I use shavings on the coop floor so at least if they throw it out it won't make such a mess!

I use pine shavings and my 3 *new-to-laying* girls seem to like it just fine. I guess I got lucky with the first thing I tried.
That all may change when my BO and WR chicks are ready to move into the coop.

Chickens are funny...I learn something new from them every day. Not mention the wealth of knowledge I get from this forum. So, I agree with the other posts. You may have to just try different things til you find what they do like.
big_smile.png

Last week I put straw in the yard to cover a huge bare spot in the lawn and my hens loved it. They scratch and peck and get on top of the left over bale. Your girls might like scratching in it like mine. I just put some in their nesting boxes last night and they haven't bothered it, but who knows maybe they haven't noticed it yet. Pine shavings may be the way I have to go too. Good luck!

I use straw and I have a 3" lip to keep most of it in. I noticed my pullets pulled the straw our before they started to lay. Who knows, maybe you'll have an egg soon!

Back
Top Bottom