Nest Box Location

jthornton

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 30, 2017
Poplar Bluff, MO
My Coop
My Coop
Can the nest box be anywhere? I really don't have room in my coop for nest boxes I need every bit of space for roosts. Can the nest box be outside the coop? My coop is attached to a run and outside of that is a 5' chain link fence. I'm wondering if I can build some nest boxes and put them in the corner of the run under the deck and protected from the wind?

JT

A lot of folks have successfully located their nest boxes outside the coop. It may take some work getting them used to using it, but they'll catch on. Mine took about a month before they started using the outside nest boxes.

A lot of folks have successfully located their nest boxes outside the coop. It may take some work getting them used to using it, but they'll catch on. Mine took about a month before they started using the outside nest boxes.

Were they using an in the coop nest box before? Mine have not laid an egg yet so all new for them.

JT

I built this when my neighbors chickens were laying in my yard. They laid one egg in it and a coon stole one of the ceramic eggs (found it a month later). Of course they quit laying in my yard like little chicken pushers so I had to go out and buy some chickens of my own. Anyhow I put this in the run a little bit ago...
nest-box01.jpg
JT

Personally, I don't see why that wouldn't work as long as they are in a safe and secure area. I went with external nest boxes on my coop as I too did not want to take up any space inside the coop.

Yea, they would be inside of a 5' chain link fence that defines the chicken yard. This will make my coop fix a bit easier to do.

JT

Back
Top Bottom