Nest Box Location

I like using the plastic dish pans for my nests. I got the larger size and built my nest boxes around them. When it's time to clean out the nests, I just dump out the shavings or pine straw on the floor and refill. If you happen to have a broken egg, much easier to rinse the egg yuk out than it is with a wooden nest box.

IMG_2366.JPG

I used to have exterior nests, but it gets so hot here in Texas that the hens would just pant too much while laying. I pulled it apart and made some interior nests for them with plenty of air flow while they are in the nests. If you put it up high enough so that they can walk under it, you won't lose any floor space with interior nests.

As long as you have a secure run, I don't see where it would matter if the nests are inside or outside the coop. As long as they have protection from the weather.

My poorly designed cute looking coop has no room for nests. I'll be building something similar to yours and it will be inside the 5' chain link fenced chicken yard in the corner of the house under the deck so well protected from wind and rain. Thanks for the photo of yours, the more info I can gather the better.

JT

Right now in a depth of the dark season the chickens get up at 4am, wife said no earlier than that. So from 4am to 7am(sunrise) they are locked in the run. I plan on putting the nest boxes outside the run in the chicken yard. My question is will the chickens wait till they can get to the nest box to lay an egg or do I need to provide a place inside the run?

JT

Right now in a depth of the dark season the chickens get up at 4am, wife said no earlier than that. So from 4am to 7am(sunrise) they are locked in the run. I plan on putting the nest boxes outside the run in the chicken yard. My question is will the chickens wait till they can get to the nest box to lay an egg or do I need to provide a place inside the run?

JT
Depends on where you want to find your eggs.
I use lights too and often have eggs by the time the sun comes up.

Thanks for the information... gotta think some more about this. I assume they don't lay an egg at night?

JT
Not unless one slips out while sleeping on roost....not too common, but can happen.
It's after the light comes on, mine comes on at 3:30am, and they start moving around, eating, drinking, laying. I have found a few on the poop board or floor, probably due to pecking order battles.

Back
Top Bottom