Nest box size

if i have 2 story nesting boxes, do i need to build a ramp to the 2nd story

Im using a sort of bench. My boxes are 2 foot off the ground. I put a bench in front of the boxes so that they can hop up then hop into a box. In theory it should work. if not ill be making a ramp lol.

Do you find that there is less egg-eating with the nest boxes off the ground? We have 8 pullets, only two are laying, and we have 1 12x24 box that they both lay in. Now, however, all 8 girls are involved in eating the eggs I don't get to quick enough.
barnie.gif

Should the box be divided/raised/ is it even big enough for 8 girls?

Once they start eating eggs, they won't stop. Ever. If you don't want to cull the birds that are eating eggs... then I would build a Roll Out nest box and get rid of any other nests. The eggs roll away and land in a safe covered area so the birds can't eat your eggs anymore. Opa has the plans for the box here on BYC. :)

I went to a communal nesting box that is 4 ft. long and 18 in. wide. Right now I have 3 layers [plus 5 chicks not yet laying] and all three hens want to lay in the very same corner of the laying box. All at the same time, of course! Found them so crowded up in there the other day that I couldn't tell where one hen ended and the other began.

No matter how big or how many nesting boxes you have, the majority will pick one spot and will fight over it every morning.

I would assume that feeding chickens crushed egg shell for calcium wod lead to them eating eggs out of the nest. Once they associate eggshell with food how would they tell the difference? Crushed Oyster shell here..

I bought four nest boxes for four chicken. They are small. 9"wide, 17"long, 9.5"high. I have two Red Cross hens, a RIR and a black australorp. I understand that chickens share their nests usually, but for some reason the boxes I ordered are on the small side. Is one hen box of this size per chicken appropriate or should I return the boxes?

Nest boxes can be a larger or a bit smaller however a 1ft³ box is a good starting point.

@ 3 little chicks 1 ft = 30 cm (approx.)
My egg boxes are re purposed milk crates 30cm³

It is hard for us old timers to drop the clumsy English system and go modern.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom