Nest boxes and chicken use

Wxguru

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 2, 2014
ARKANSAS
I have eggs now as of this weekend....BUT...my golden buff is laying them in the chicken run. I have 3 nest boxes that are painted completely black. I have not put up any kind of curtains for privacy...so looking for opinions here on if they aren't using based on the lack of privacy?>
Before she started laying, the golden buff would get in each next box and scrape around at the nest material and then sit for a few seconds then get up....they are plenty big....13" wide x 12" tall (slope to back) x 15" deep.
I have no idea why she would like to lay them in the run....they literally were out in the open.

So she is a new layer, right? This is not at all uncommon for them. Have you got any "bait eggs" in your nest boxes (wooden eggs, golf balls, etc - not real eggs)? It can take a little time for them to get the hang of the whole process.....not just how, but where, to do this new thing their body does.

Yep she is a new layer....very first for us. She has 5 sisters that are australorps and orpingtons...so they will be a couple of weeks behind her. She is leading the way!
I have had golf balls in there from the time I opened the nests up to try to encourage them to lay there.

Back
Top Bottom