Nest boxes

1DB2C2AE-9905-4665-BB68-44791175B638.jpeg

Ugh. Chickens. Left and right nests have like 6 eggs in them each day. Middle ones, nothing.

Ultimately I would like to do some sort of roll away egg nest. On the meantime I would quite happily settle for all of them laying at around the same time in all the nests.

Any suggestions on how to improve?

If you're lucky, they will at least use the two favored boxes One At A Time. In a couple of my coops, one of two things happens. Either the second girl in stands in front of the box and screams at the girl already inside. Or, girl number two simply sits on top of the first hen.

One of my Buckeyes has decided to avoid nest boxes altogether. She simply remains on the lower roost and -- bombs away! Her eggs fail into the "poop hammock" -- an easily removable-for-cleaning tarp hung under the roosts. Good news is her eggs don't break when they hit the tarp. Bad news is -- well you can guess how nasty they are.

If you're lucky, they will at least use the two favored boxes One At A Time. In a couple of my coops, one of two things happens. Either the second girl in stands in front of the box and screams at the girl already inside. Or, girl number two simply sits on top of the first hen.

One of my Buckeyes has decided to avoid nest boxes altogether. She simply remains on the lower roost and -- bombs away! Her eggs fail into the "poop hammock" -- an easily removable-for-cleaning tarp hung under the roosts. Good news is her eggs don't break when they hit the tarp. Bad news is -- well you can guess how nasty they are.
“Bombs away” 😂😂😂

I pulled out the nest box since they were not using it.

I really Want to get them using a roll away nest box so I can do some creative egg management. At the moment I pretty much have to collect eggs each day which I am trying to avoid. They are laying between 13 to 17 eggs each day which fills up real quick.

7C90A2BA-274E-49BE-A96C-01346ED86E3E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom