nest boxes

I didn't mean to imply that our hens roost in the nesting boxes, because they don't. It just so happens one room of our coop has both nesting boxes and a roosting area. The second room has just nesting boxes and the third room has only a roosting area. We are still new at this chicken thing and when we bought the farm the coop was already there and it has worked well for us. We will have to make some modifications when it is time to take the babies from the brooder to the coop area, because I don't want to mix my babies with the adults. Thank you all for this forum. I have learned soooooo much.

I got mine at Nasco. (http://www.enasco.com/ProductDetail.do?sku=C18949N) They're about half the price they charge at McMurray's... really, I've found Nasco is very reasonable on everything compared to McMurray's and the other hatcheries. Good customer service, too.

However, these are still pretty expensive: 25 bucks (or 22 each if you buy a few). I imagine I could have worked over a plastic bin for a lot less, but in order to get it just right and removable like this one is, I think it would have been a LOT of work, and the plastic would definitely not have been as sturdy. Also, I like the way these are sloped on the top so the birds can't roost up there. So... they are expensive, but no rusting out; they'll last forever. Still, I've seen lots of good makeshift nest boxes. I don't think you really need anything fancy. My coop is small, though, so I only needed to use one.

Nuchickmama, I didn't think you were implying your hens were sleeping in your nest boxes
smile.png
, I was just responding to Saltiena's question about whether it would be okay or not. It's kind of counter-intuitive, though, isn't it? Seems like the birds should sleep in their nests... but, no, we don't want them to.
roll.png
I wish I had more than one room in my coop, like you do.

It looks like the reasoning behind the multiple rooms was 1 for roosting, 1 for laying and 1 for new chicks. Although why they would have put nesting boxes in there is still a mystery to me. After I got the young ,Red Star pullets last August, they took to the room with the roosting poles and nest boxes. I guess that is good, because they are the ones that will lay early in the morning before we open the coop doors around 6 a.m. Fresh eggs early every morning all winter long.

Llysse,

Thanks so much for posting the link to those nests at nasco. I notice they are only 10" deep...have you used these with heavy breeds. Do you think my Light Brahmas will be too cramped?

Andy

BTW...Where is Windy Ridge Cottage. I am a grad alum of WVU and it is my favorite state.

Quote:
They may have used the second room with just nest boxes for broody hens. The broody hens would have stayed in the nests with the eggs and then the hatched chicks and would not have been roosting. When it was time for the chicks to join the rest of the flock, they went back to the big room with the nests and roosts. At least, that's what my both my grandmothers did on their farms.

regards,
keljonma

I was all excited about those Nasco nests, but I think they would be too small for heavy breeds, based on what I am reading.

On the M. McMurray site they sell those same nests, but then they have one called BIG BIRD NEST which they say is best for RI Reds, Orpingtons, etc (see the link here: http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/b_big_bird_nest_b_.html) which are quite a bit bigger. " Big Bird Nests are made larger to accommodate large birds such as Black Giants,Wyandotte, Brahma, Orpington, Rhode Island Red, Barred Rocks or any birds of that size. These nests are taller, 24" tall; deeper, 14" deep; stronger, and have a front opening of 10". Use of these nests on larger birds will practically eliminate floor eggs."
Anyone have any first-hand experience... which would certainly trump my theoretical conclusion?

Stacey

staceyneil

We built 4 nest boxes out of wood that are 14 x 14 x 12. We also have one wood box that is 12 x 12 x 12. We have one wood nest box that is 18 x 18 x 14 to accommodate a broody with chicks. We also have two small corner hay or feed bins (6 gallon size) in our horse stalls. So we have a total of 8 nests for our flock of 16 girls of mixed standard breeds.

I can't tell you how many times I hear our White Face Black Spanish or Silver Spangled Hamburg pullets squawking because our Delaware or Buff Orpington pullets chased them out of one of the small bin nest areas. And our Golden Penciled Hamburg and Silver Lakenvelder love to lay their eggs in the broody nest area. Sometimes our Jersey Black Giant tries to squeeze into the small bin area, but just doesn't fit. She never tries the largest area we built for holding a broody and chicks, but loves the one box that is 12 x 12 x 12. So, I suggest you provide nest boxes based on the size of your birds and the number of girls in your flock, but don't be surprised by which boxes they want to use!
lol.png

regards,
keljonma

if edited, probably for typos....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom