Nest got nasty today. Time to pull it?

Hensndoes

Songster
Jun 18, 2017
EA862C61-157B-4CEA-A945-F7B872FD9B53.jpeg
hi all. My broody has hatched successfully twice before. This time I gave FBCM eggs from my new roo and hens. 21 days was Monday but let’s say she wasn’t hot enough and some needed extra days. Well she started with 11 and between Saturday and today she’s down to this. I checked every day or 2 and she had kicked out empty shells but the nest was clean. Today this.

What happened? Is that poop or mud? Personally I'd gently wipe off the eggs with a dry paper towel and continue with an incubator, or, if mama is good with a new or cleaned nest, I'd give them back to her.

yuck :sick
wash the eggs replace the bedding... shake the eggs close to your ear (carefully) if you hear liquid sloshing around inside then the egg is rotten if you cant hear any thing or you can hear cheeping or a dull thudding sound the egg is most likely healthy . also try candling. good luck

What happened? Is that poop or mud? Personally I'd gently wipe off the eggs with a dry paper towel and continue with an incubator, or, if mama is good with a new or cleaned nest, I'd give them back to her.
I think an egg blew up. It’s a new roo maybe he can’t perform... been with the hens for a year now. I’ve seen fertile eggs on the other hens but hadn’t checked The Marans.

yuck :sick
wash the eggs replace the bedding... shake the eggs close to your ear (carefully) if you hear liquid sloshing around inside then the egg is rotten if you cant hear any thing or you can hear cheeping or a dull thudding sound the egg is most likely healthy . also try candling. good luck
Thank you. Sloshing so cleaning out.

Back
Top Bottom