Nesting box lid design

ABgardner

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2017
Chesterfield, MI
Hello all, I am in the middle of the long process of designing a coop for a small future flock. I've been compiling lots of ideas from many different sources and think I have a general blue print in mind.
The one thing I am still struggling with is how to design the lid for the nest box to be completely sealed so I wont get any drips during rain or snow storms. I would love to hear/see how everyone keeps the weather out of their nest boxes.
I'll try to post a photo of my overall design. My drawing is not to scale but overall will be about 8 feet long, by 6 feet wide, by about 7 feet tall at the high side of the pitched roof.
I decided to build the nest box right into the clean-out door for a few reasons. One, convenience. It will be on the front of the coop and very easy to get to. Also I read it is best to have your nest boxes on the same wall as your light source/window and this design will allow me to have the next boxes below the window.
Please feel free to let me know if you spot any flaws in my design. It may be tough to see from the drawing but the coop will be next to my 6 foot privacy fence.

Attachments

• Chicken Coop.jpg
    Chicken Coop.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 95
Our nesting box lid was letting in water so my neighbor took a tarp and used a staple gun to nicely attach it alittle above the lid. The tarp was big enough to be stapled around all the edges of the lid so no rain or water came in. It has been working great!

I would make sure the roof overhands like 6" to help protect the nesting box. The easiest place for water to get in is by the hinges so having the roof line cover that will help a lot.

I opted for a front open rather than a top "lid".....
20170621_124744.jpg

The main roof has an overhang, the roof of the nest boxes has flashing and caulk at the joint with the building, the roof of the nests overhangs where the front opens. ....the front opens from the top and is secured by a bolt latch at both ends.
Just realized I have no pic of it open. .....being in Oregon I've already had plenty of test for rain, lol, stayed high and dry

I opted for a front open rather than a top "lid".....
View attachment 1059563

The main roof has an overhang, the roof of the nest boxes has flashing and caulk at the joint with the building, the roof of the nests overhangs where the front opens. ....the front opens from the top and is secured by a bolt latch at both ends.
Just realized I have no pic of it open. .....being in Oregon I've already had plenty of test for rain, lol, stayed high and dry
Te more I read and think about it, I may just go this route. It may also be easier for the kids to peek in and see the eggs rather than standing on something or being held up to look down into the boxes.

We built the Daisy coop and used asphalt shingles. There is a roof overhang of 10" so there is no leakage. But the top is very heavy. I am planning to modify the nest boxes to include small side opening doors. Assuming that works, then I will likely permanently close the lift up roof and completely eliminate the possible leakage issue.

upload_2017-6-29_14-23-52.png

Back
Top Bottom