Nesting box question

cindyloowhoo

Chirping
Apr 21, 2018
Do chickens instinctively know to just go into their nesting boxes to lay eggs? My girls are getting close to laying and not sure they’ve even gone into their boxes. Months back when first put in the coop they checked them out, but I just don’t want them laying eggs elsewhere. Is there anything I need to do or just let nature do what it does and let them be.

I just had a chicken lay her first egg today. I had noticed someone had been going into the nesting box but hadn't caught anyone in there till today. I saw her in there and heard what I thought was the egg song and then just found an egg. I hadn't even gotten around to getting any fake ones! Now hopefully the rest will figure it out when they are ready.

I would put in some fake eggs (I use golf balls) and watch their behavior. The balls might get their attention and they may go into the boxes and kick them out or rearrange the bedding or make a mess - that's all perfectly normal and it usually means they're not only close to laying, but that they're interested in the nest boxes and considering them for usage.

I too employ fake eggs and golf balls, great tool for chickeneering.

Tho first(and second and third and...) eggs might be laid anywhere,
eventually they get the idea on their own to use nests.

The fact that they did check out the nests means they are easily accessible,
and I assume they are not roosting(sleeping) in them.
So all you have to do now is.....wait.

Do chickens instinctively know to just go into their nesting boxes to lay eggs? My girls are getting close to laying and not sure they’ve even gone into their boxes. Months back when first put in the coop they checked them out, but I just don’t want them laying eggs elsewhere. Is there anything I need to do or just let nature do what it does and let them be.

I added 3 golf balls to each of the two nesting boxes I have a couple of weeks ago. This morning I went out to check the nesting boxes and to my amazement I found two eggs! Super egg-citing.

Attachments

• 2ndegg.JPG
    2ndegg.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 2ndeggs.JPG
    2ndeggs.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom