Nesting 'boxes' using large 5 gallon buckets?

padavali

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
Good morning!

I have chickens ranging in age from 2 months to 5 weeks so I am not at the point where I am worried about nesting but I would like to get it set up in the next couple weeks so it is done. I have a bunch (8 buckets and 15 chickens) of new 5 gallon buckets from a hardware store. I was told I could use those as nesting boxes but I wonder if I need to worry about air circulation by drilling holes in them? Or cut the top off? Or can I just screw them on the wall with a guard along the top bottom to keep the nest inside?

Thanks for your help!

Dianna

I've seen pics here of nests made of these, on their side, with a barrier across the bottom to keep the nesting material inside. I don't know how well it would work to screw them to the wall, though; the hen might be too much weight for the screws. Maybe if you put some sort of "leg" or support under them, kind of like a table leg. Or made a two board shelf and screwed them to that.

Oh, they will be placed on a shelf for added support as well, sorry I didn't include that...

I've seen a lot if people use buckets and they work great. I've never seen holes drilled in the buckets but it makes sence to do so. It certainly wouldn't hurt any. I use milk crates. ( there full of holes)

Last year I was having problems with renegades laying in secret places.
Someone recommended spackle containers from the hardware store.
Probably about 5 gallons, comes with a lid.
Cut a rough square in the lid, put in some straw and make it so they won't roll.
I didn't worry about additional air holes
Sometimes I had a line. Two hens will squeeze in sometimes.
For 15 birds I'll bet 3 would be enough.

They do like a little privacy, the opening should not face a busy or open area.

I
Last year I was having problems with renegades laying in secret places. Someone recommended spackle containers from the hardware store. Probably about 5 gallons, comes with a lid. Cut a rough square in the lid, put in some straw and make it so they won't roll. I didn't worry about additional air holes Sometimes I had a line. Two hens will squeeze in sometimes. For 15 birds I'll bet 3 would be enough. They do like a little privacy, the opening should not face a busy or open area.
is that why I see pictures with nesting box openings covered with fabric? Sorry... Very new to the world of chickens...

Back
Top Bottom