Nesting Boxes

Kelsbug7

Songster
5 Years
May 30, 2018
SW Florida
80C4AC44-7A66-4720-ABD9-1812D8A65F5B.jpeg

I used some material I already had in my house/shed to build my nesting boxes. Do they need to be covered/more private or do you think my girls will like it?

also you might want to put some ledge on the front to prevent the eggs from rolling out or get kicked out.
Yes^^^
Might need a perch out front for easier access.....
..and a sharply angled board(or something solid) on top so they don't roost there.
How big are they?
12x12x12" is a good minimum..taller is better as they stand up when the egg actually emerged.

I thought I would share a few observations about my nesting boxes. I have 2 nesting boxes for 7 chickens. I had originally planned to split them to have 4, but I was struggling with the design and then they started laying. At first, the girls were only using one box and 2 girls were laying on the ground. After I read more about privacy and light, I realized that the south facing box was getting quite a bit more light than the north. We made some changes to the lid/hinge design and they immediately began laying in both boxes. Plus no more eggs on the ground :)

You might cover the top and sides with cloth so they have more privacy, an angled board on top to keep them from roosting up there and either a ramp or roost in the front for them to hop on to get in and out or lower them. My nesting boxes are level with the floor in my coop so they can walk in and out. You also need a lip on the front to hold the nesting material and eggs in otherwise they will have those shavings scattered all over the floor.

You might cover the top and sides with cloth so they have more privacy, an angled board on top to keep them from roosting up there and either a ramp or roost in the front for them to hop on to get in and out or lower them. My nesting boxes are level with the floor in my coop so they can walk in and out. You also need a lip on the front to hold the nesting material and eggs in otherwise they will have those shavings scattered all over the floor.
Why shouldnt they roost on top?

So I put the slanted roof on the nesting boxes, and this is what I came out to tonight. Are they just too young to want to roost, so they’re sleeping in a safe place, or is my latter not a sufficient roosting place? They are 11 weeks old. Silly chickens!
! 2E4B5BD2-D817-4E16-A9AE-C7353307CC5B.jpeg B0C957A6-FE7A-4FC6-9DDF-6B3063CDCC05.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom