Nesting Boxes

They don’t lay eggs at night? How would you suggest closing them?
And also, they slept on the ladder one night before I had the nesting boxes in there, and they’re always jumping up on top of stuff, so I don’t think it’s the height.

So I put the slanted roof on the nesting boxes, and this is what I came out to tonight. Are they just too young to want to roost, so they’re sleeping in a safe place, or is my latter not a sufficient roosting place? They are 11 weeks old. Silly chickens!

They are old enough to roost. My newest babies are 6-8 weeks old and they are roosting. You might try some longer boards across for them to roost. Mine like to roost next to each other.

I agree with MissChick@dee about closing them at night. You don't want them sleeping in them.

They are old enough to roost. My newest babies are 6-8 weeks old and they are roosting. You might try some longer boards across for them to roost. Mine like to roost next to each other.

I agree with MissChick@dee about closing them at night. You don't want them sleeping in them.
Will they not need to lay eggs at night?

Will they not need to lay eggs at night?
No, they don't lay eggs at night....usually.... sometimes one will slip out at night, often it is a soft shelled.

You might try some longer boards across for them to roost. Mine like to roost next to each other.
Yes, good suggestion.
You have plenty of room for a linear roost instead of that ladder.

I rigged a hinged cover for nests. Close it an hour before roost time, then open when I lock up after dark.

I have one that lays at night - but only if it didn't during the day. It is also usually laid from the roost. Plus sometimes a soft shell. So, :sick. She's having egg blips and not laying normally all of the time.
My nest boxes are open 24/7, but my girls are old enough to know to roost. You will need to close off the nest boxes at night for sure until they are older. I actually have two nest boxes (a cabinet turned sideways) and the 4 of mine go back and forth between them to lay eggs. Usually they are all in one, but they still alternate - probably depending on who laid in which one first. :)
Some people close off nest boxes during the day until the ladies are laying.
Even though ladder roosts are fun and interesting. I would offer them a bar of wood to roost on. They actually like to all get up on one roost unless you have a lot of chickens. On ladder roosts they can peck and pick at those above them.

No, they don't lay eggs at night....usually.... sometimes one will slip out at night, often it is a soft shelled.

Yes, good suggestion.
You have plenty of room for a linear roost instead of that ladder.

I rigged a hinged cover for nests. Close it an hour before roost time, then open when I lock up after dark.

Do you think just curtains would be enough to keep them out? And my grandma has a lot of bamboo she just thinned out- would they use that if I went from one side all the way to the other, and higher than the nesting boxes?

Curtains can help them with privacy, but I don't think it would keep them out unless tacked down. I just put up a piece of hardware cloth or a board in front of the nest boxes to keep my chickens out when I didn't want them in a nest box.

Back
Top Bottom