Nesting boxes

We’re in the same boat. One girl laid her first egg yesterday, in a corner of the coop where it’s shaded. This morning, our Buff Orf did the exact same thing. Thanks for all the suggestions!

I added a mix of our bedding to both boxes (pine shavings and Easton hemp bedding) on top of the nesting pads. I might get a magnetic curtain rod, and MacGuiver curtains for them, so they get the whole Nesting Box Experience. 😉

Also, placed a box in the corner where they both popped out their nugget.

Attachments

• 04F85919-227A-4D4C-9EE7-34FA532C44B4.jpeg
    04F85919-227A-4D4C-9EE7-34FA532C44B4.jpeg
    513.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9897.jpeg
    IMG_9897.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 9
We’re in the same boat. One girl laid her first egg yesterday, in a corner of the coop where it’s shaded. This morning, our Buff Orf did the exact same thing. Thanks for all the suggestions!

I added a mix of our bedding to both boxes (pine shavings and Easton hemp bedding) on top of the nesting pads. I might get a magnetic curtain rod, and MacGuiver curtains for them, so they get the whole Nesting Box Experience. 😉

Also, placed a box in the corner where they both popped out their nugget.
Those smart hens! This morning I noticed Nugget had pushed the box aside, and had nestled herself in that corner again. Her second egg was laid, and she waddles over and started her egg song. What else can we do to encourage the girls to use the nesting boxes?

Those smart hens! This morning I noticed Nugget had pushed the box aside, and had nestled herself in that corner again. Her second egg was laid, and she waddles over and started her egg song. What else can we do to encourage the girls to use the nesting boxes?
You said you put a box where she laid - is that to block the area or as a nest box? If it's to block it it needs to be weighed down so it can't be moved easily. If it's a nest box then it needs to be attached in place so it can't be moved.

Since these are their first eggs it's not unusual that they aren't sure where to lay, and will figure it out in time. Have you seen evidence of them visiting/exploring the nest boxes?

You said you put a box where she laid - is that to block the area or as a nest box? If it's to block it it needs to be weighed down so it can't be moved easily. If it's a nest box then it needs to be attached in place so it can't be moved.

Since these are their first eggs it's not unusual that they aren't sure where to lay, and will figure it out in time. Have you seen evidence of them visiting/exploring the nest boxes?
The box is there to prevent them from laying there. We’ll add some weight to it, so they can’t nest there.

This morning, two of the girls were peeking into the nesting boxes. I changed out the bedding there (removed the Eaton nesting pads, since they were pulling them apart), and replaced it with a mix of hemp/pine shavings. This is what we have in the coop (deep litter method).

Thanks for your help!

This morning, two of the girls were peeking into the nesting boxes.
Hopefully they continue to consider it. It may take a few weeks, but if the problem persists update us with any changes that have been made or any improvements. In the meantime keeping the previous spot blocked and removing eggs that get laid there/near there will help.

Back
Top Bottom