Netting to cover top of chicken run

I use all the bailing twine off of the hay I feed. I just start netting it from one side to the other. It has been great......lasted through heavy snow, 80 mile winds. Nothing has ever gotten in or out, easy to repair (although I've only had to tighten it up a couple times) and I feel good about using at least some of the string as I feed 32 bales a day.

I went to wal mart and in the gardening section they have a net fence type material. I had the fruit tree neting until the ice storm brought it down. Th new stuff is like a plastic version of the tree netting. I think it was 9.96 for a 3'x 50' roll. I am in the process of putting it up now so I can't really tell you much about.

I contacted my local high school and baseball parks and got some of the netting from behind the batters box and the batting cages. They replace it every year here and they just throw it away so we reused it. I havent had any problems in a year with unwanted critters getting in or my babies getting out. (Its washable too)
wink.png

I just put an outdoor run together for my ladies from some chain-link that I was able to pick up almost free. It's only for them to be out in during the day, and they can run inside the large indoor area anytime (used to be a workshop till they tok it over) they want. They used to have free run of 3 acres until the red-tails became far too interested in them - luckily none got taken.

I am looking for some sturdy netting for the top to keep out hawks. I bought some 48 inch x 50 foot rolls of poulty neeting at Lowes, but that means I'll need 4 rolls since the run is about 16 feet wide. I started to install it & thought, there has GOT to be a better way, i.e., wider netting, easier to install. Someone posted here about 150 or 120 foot sections - what do you suggest? I'd love to find something that I can put up in 1 piece (16 foot x 50 foot).
yippiechickie.gif

6236_100_1148.jpg

I am so glad I deceided to put op the netting. It has done a great job of keeping the hawks away. The netting is supported with brace wire and zip tied to the fence.

Back
Top Bottom