Neutering a pot belly pig....

bayyjayy

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
Utah
So, a girlfriend of mine took her pig to be neutered, and I am guessing the vet casterated him--not too bright on this subject, so forgive my ignorance on it--she said they just sliced his testicles, let the balls fall out, didn't even stitch him, said it took longer to fill out the paperwork.....cost her ten bucks. So, I call my vet and they do neuter pigs, but it is an actual surgery where they put him out, and it is estimated between $100 and $150.

What are your thoughts on the different procedures. I have a duck pond that the pig loves to go in, so I worry about infection after the surgery.

That's the standard way to neuter a pig. That was the scrotum that was sliced open, not the testicles. The testicles are attached by a cord and the cord is cut and the testicles are removed.

The incision is always left open so it can drain properly. I'm going to guess that your friend used a farm and livestock vet. Your vet who wants to charge you so much is probably a dog and cat (pet) vet. Right?

YES.....it is a dog/cat vet......and, I did know it was the scrotum, not the testicles that was cut, and the testicles removed. Could NOT think of the word scrotum this morning.

I feel so bad having it done that way instead of the surgical way....though I know it is done all the time. Still................

Actually, not having to go under general anesthesia is less risky and less stressful than that method for such a simple procedure. And it is QUICK as you found out. They're sore afterward, but just as sore if another method was used. Most livestock vets do use local anesthetic to numb, at least one I know, for that type of castration, and a shot of banamine or something else for general pain relief.

I'm in So Cal, can anyone recommend a livestock vet? I took in a lil guy and he is sweet as ever! I would love to have him neutered so we can keep him, I'd hate for him to developed any aggression, as in the articles I've read on the subject. Any help appreciated!

I got a pot bellie pig yesterday and he is awesome...all but 1 thing...i cant have him out his cage unless he is trying to hump my legs..calling vet tomorrow!

Attachments

• 20180102_102137.jpg
    20180102_102137.jpg
    680.8 KB · Views: 85
I'm in So Cal, can anyone recommend a livestock vet? I took in a lil guy and he is sweet as ever! I would love to have him neutered so we can keep him, I'd hate for him to developed any aggression, as in the articles I've read on the subject. Any help appreciated!

You might contact the farm advisors office, any 4H clubs, or if there is a livestock auction anywhere around, ask them. Livestock auction yards use vets for bovine pregnancy checks, etc. so they should know where to find one.

You might contact the farm advisors office, any 4H clubs, or if there is a livestock auction anywhere around, ask them. Livestock auction yards use vets for bovine pregnancy checks, etc. so they should know where to find one.
Im in Indiana and called my vet and she gave me recommendations...i got oinky monday he is 9 months this month and was fine untill tuesday...all he wants to do is hump my leg...so he goes to indy monday for a check up for neutering...other wise great pig and house broke

I feel so bad having it done that way instead of the surgical way....though I know it is done all the time. Still................

Please don't feel bad! It is actually the best way to do it, as a lot of pigs have bad reactions to anesthesia. There's really not a lot of pain - I've cut myself with a scalpel (accidentally!!) and didn't even know until I saw it. And believe it or not, pig scrotums are really not that sensitive - they bite each other there! It is not the sensitive, delicate thing it is in some species.

Back
Top Bottom