Never seen anything like this..!please help

Unfortunately my place doesn’t have garage or anything but all my chickens have coops and I can close them up in the nesting area of their coop and pile in alot of straw inside to help keep them little bit warmer.I take water and food for them and put it inside the house with them everyday.
Do others think this might be a time to use a red heat lamp if there is a plug?

I live in the Yukon (100mi from Alaska). It does look like frostbite. The comb isn't bad. He may or may not loose the tips. The wattle is what is causing him enough pain to be lethargic.

I am guessing that he has been drinking from a water bowl which is what got the wattles so cold to do that kind of damage. He needs to be drinking from nipples for the next few months while he recovers. Dipping those tender wattles into cold water will cause him more pain.

He is not a cold hardy breed. Breeds with single combs and large wattles are most at risk to frostbite. My barred rock rooster lost an inch off the bottom of his wattles last winter. It took a few months for the damaged flesh to turn black, dry up and fall off. After he got frostbite I switched to a heated nipple waterer and have not had any cold injuries since then. I only heat my coop when temps are below -25°C (-13°f) for more than 36 hours.

For future reference, when a chicken gets frostbite they should be moved indoors and a lukewarm (100°f) wet washcloth be gently applied (without rubbing). Do not put the chicken back outside until temps are above freezing or the area has fully healed. Refreezing frost bitten flesh can cause more severe damage.

Back
Top Bottom