Never Thought It Would Be A Bear.....

Quote:
What? Really you are not serious....a bear is not going to rip apart a human's house...come on now. I lived with bears and mountain lions travelling through my yard daily and never ever had one try to get inside the house and eat the chickens in the brooders or in my garage. Come on now get real and not try to scare the OP.

Last edited:
Quote:
What? Really you are not serious....a bear is not going to rip apart a human's house...come on now. I lived with bears and mountain lions travelling through my yard daily and never ever had one try to get inside the house and eat the chickens in the brooders or in my garage. Come on now get real and not try to scare the OP.

Bears have broken into homes. I know of one down the road from me. You read about it in the paper at least once a year here in NJ. And to the OP, I feel for you. My flock was killed in April by bears. Now I have electric fence. So far, so good.

Quote:

Bears are strong and if they want to, are hungry enough and have lost the fear of man, they can get in just about anything, especially Grizzlies and Polar bears. BUT I highly doubt a Bear would enter a house for one chicken.
I have seen the remains of a camper a Grizzly ripped apart . The camper's owner hadn't secured their food in air tight containers and left the windows ajar. The Bear destroyed the inside of the camper, especially the fridge.

A neighbor left his feed grain outside in metal garbage cans. A bear had broke into them several times. Grain is like crack cocaine to bears. He then put the feed cans in a barn, the bear got in. Ripped the plank door off its hinges.
Unfortunately, because the neighbor hadn't used common sense in the first place and the bear ended up getting shot. After that the neighbor still didn't learn and another bear destroyed his bee hives.

That's really sad I would lose my mind if a bear killed my entire flock. I don't know your situation or feelings about guns but I imagine it's within your legal rights to put down a bear that is in the process of attacking your property. A 30-30 would put down most any black bears and would probably work just as well for brown bears. But be safe in whatever you do, no sense enduring a fate like your chickens.

Cetawin, I nave shot 2 bears atempting to come into my summer cabin just outside Downiebille, Ca. One was coming though the bedroom window in the middle of the night. The other was mid afternoon and it was coming though the front door. And I didn't even have a chicken in the house, though I had just started dinner. All a bear needs is a smell of food and if it is hungry it will get that food, no matter how much there is. The cabins around Lake Tahoe, Ca. are broken into maybe a dozen times a year. And that many house with people living in them. Once a bear loses it fear of humans, it MUST be put down. Most of the time the bear is after the feed, but will take what it can get. If that is a chicken, duck, goat it is bear dinner time. Twice last hunting season hunters were attacked by bear within 50 miles of here. They weren't even hunting bear, but had their lunch with them. I have no way of telling if this is true or not, but the rangers at Yosemite Park tell all campers that a bear can smell an unopened can of tuna a mile away. This may be a little far reaching but they do have a good sense of smell. If you stay at Yosemite you must keep all your food in bear proof lock box provided by the park.

2 words - Electric Fence.
Very sorry that you had to see your chickens killed and eatin.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom